1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on imperfections in my vintage

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bug12oz, Nov 12, 2005.

1. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

My mom and I can't agree on this, so I wanted to ask you guys.

My mom and I have found several wonderful items, however they have moth holes in several places on them. Most of them are here and there near a gathered place and are not large holes.

The disagreement on these. I say, I need to add a section on my website and put the same bust size items in a lot of about 5 for a cheap price and one pic of the lot and expalin where the damage is on each in the description. She wants each to have there on space on my website with 3 pics-front back and hole pic. Then price them at like 2.00 each.

So what is your thoughts and what do you guys do with your stuff that moth holes? Please help....:puzzled:

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If it can't be rewoven, or isn't worth the money to have rewoven, then you may as well sell them in lots.

Age is a factor - a Victorian to 20s item with a few tiny mothholes is still selleable. Something from the 40s or 50s to the present with moth damage (where the main value is as a wearable not a collectible ) is not attractive to buyers .

I wouldn't think it's worth the time and trouble to post or list individual items for $2 . At least in a lot, you have only one sale to make and ship.

Hollis

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

If they are really "wow," I'd repair them if you can, then sell them for more money each. Not worth 3 pics each to sell for $2 each.... Lots are good if you either can't, or don't want to take the time, to fix. If they would be too time consuming to fix and aren't "wow," I'd do lots, too.

4. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I really hate when they have holes. Iam having and awesome Lilli Ann Repaired. Iam also having a 1940's Hostess dress professionally repaired... But I adore these items and I think it worth the repairs. Most items with holes I either trash or try to salvage item. (Make into skirt or use undamaged parts for something else)

-Chris

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I guess I would have to know what kind of items they were to say for sure what i would do and where the damage was.

If its something where the moth hole is at a hemline and it can be hemmed by the new owner )or you) I wouldn't pass it up if its a great item and list it in the regular section with disclosure. Sometimes skirts and dresses get hemmed an inch or two to fit a shorter owner without changing the silhouette of the dress. If its a case where a maxi dress has to turn into a minidress, I would say no.

I agree that $2.00 is just not worth selling. I am going to side with you on the lot idea, but if you have something that might be wonderful and really sparked your attention...but damaged, it might be able to have another life in the theater or as part of another type of costume, or even props/set dressing. I might take the most unique items that really typify a particular era and offer in an imperfect/costume section and take a photo of the whole thing, than one that illustrates the damage, and charge a higher price for it. OR lot them by size or by era but charge a higher price for your time.

6. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Right at the moment I have 3 jackets that have moth holes that are the same bust size. They are not "wow" kind of jackets, so they will pretty much fit in a lot. I do have a silk 80's "wow" dress that I think I do need to take the time to get repaired.

I agree with all of you. It's a waste of time to try to sell them each separate with the damage. I already have very little time as it is. And quickly running out of storage space.

Thanks you guys for your advice so far and would really love to hear more ideals.

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Jamie, i want to see a pic of the "WOW" dress

pretty please :)

8. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

well since you said pretty please.....

first thing tomorrow I will snap a pic for you....:kiss: