1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R. H. Macy & Co Label for a pair of Boots

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by brooklynne, Oct 12, 2018.

1. brooklynne

brooklynne Registered Guest

Hello!

I recently found these adorable boots at an Estate sale.
    Everything in the house was 1960s-1980s. I found these leather boots and I am trying to date them.

They have the R. H. Macy & Co INC stamp. and leather soles.
    I cant figure out what Era these would be from. And when the R. H. Macy & Co label was stopped being used in shoes.

Thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

2. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

I can't really tell from when those boots are, but here's what I found about R. H. Macy & Co.:
    "R. H. Macy & Co., Inc., filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on January 27, 1992. It became a division of the Cincinnati-based Federated Department Stores in 1994. The holding company was renamed Macy's, Inc. in 2007".

3. Fortunately, those are some lovely jodhpur boots! I'd wear them if they fit, I like equestrian styling.
    Unfortunately, jodhpur boot styles have changed little over the years. You are right to try to find info about the style of Macy's mark. My rather quick search didn't reveal anything helpful, sorry.
    (Add the word boots to your title, then our shoe experts are more likely to read your inquiry.) :)

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Such handsome looking boots -- hoping that the shoe people see these.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I just added the boots info to the title - that may help others to see it not a garment label.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

They are traditionally made boots but what is jumping out to me is the style of buckle - that rounded square is typically used on late 60's-1970's footwear. The wrapped ankle tie is something I associate with late 70's to 1980's Vivienne Westwood style... So overall I'm thinking 1970's custom order.
    If they have any stamped size markings though this might suggest commercially sold for retail.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am quite sure these are equestrian - we have a pair at the museum but not from Macy's. Ours are women's boots and are late 1940s - they came with the outfit - jodhpurs and a tweed jacket with a vest underneath.

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

On second look I just noticed one strap and buckle appear to be a replacement so Jonathan's suggestion of older could well be correct.