1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REMOVING MASKING TAPE from silk velvet dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by shesabettie, May 17, 2010.

1. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I have never had much luck with solvents on glue and velvet on it's own without damaging the pile.

Some glues do soften with heat then a solvent might work better, not sure how you heat up velvet especially vintage without damaging it
    Maybe a damp cloth under and a cool iron maybe some one would know more about doing that,
    masking tape glue is well know for age hardening and on metal friction by rubbing with a cloth helps then a solvent to remove it works.
    Velvet is not the same clearly.

2. shesabettie

shesabettie Registered Guest

Well, I have good news for you all ... and it looks like our friends, Ludi and Ann, were correct about the alcohol! That did the trick and I was able to remove the masking tape with very minimal damage to the silk velvet.

I documented my process so you may all have the benefit of my research and findings :)

Please check out this link for photos and more detailed information:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31382702&l=68b6bbd828&id=1166337453

Thanks again for ALL of your wonderful suggestions. I could not have been successful without your help so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Love the VFG and all of the awesome people who are a part of it ... I have learned so much!

xoxo,
    Jenn:clapping: