1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Avantbo, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Came across Jonathan's thread/workshop on shoes, that will be a good read for me. atlas that workshop is now closed so having to start a new thread.

Here is my question, What adhesive to use?

I have a pair of shoes, ( grandson's ), leather uppers, thick molded, rubber? soles.

One of the sole has come away completely, no damage just the adhesive gave up I think.

Now leather shoe repairs, silk and so on hold no fear for me but rubber to leather, not so easy.

I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject and most of the shoe adhesive on sale, going by reviews, fail.

I happy to accept many think they can spread glue without prepping and probably why such shoe repairs, regardless of what reviewers have to say don't hold.

None the less there a number who have done their preparations methodically yet the adhesive used has failed in a short time.

I read terms like contact adhesive, ( which means very little ), all adhesive is contact and am surprised to read how many recommend types of super glue for shoe repairs, which does not flex, bend or give.

So for a decent repair, bonding leather to rubber what method/s and adhesive should I use that will last?