1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing Silk Gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Debbie W, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Debbie W

Debbie W Registered Guest

IMG_3886.JPG IMG_3885.JPG I need help with this beautiful gown that was severely mistreated. Its all silk, probably a wedding gown. The silk petticoat was hacked apart to make a gusset that ran down both sides. The most damage was to the front, which some evil doer cut thru the lace and added a zipper! I have removed as much of the damage as I could. Any suggestions on repairing the lace? Is there any way to hid the holes from stitching in the zipper? Any help would be appreciated. The only label in the gown says Made in Canada of 100% soie. Probably 80's?? Thanks!

2. Yes, early '80s. Very early. I detect Princess Diana inspiration.

You could back the lace panel onto a fine silk net and gently hand stitch the slashed edges together but it will take a certain amount of time and the damage will still be noticeable. It may not even be original: perhaps something that was added in to increase the size/create modesty.

I would just replace that panel. Easy enough to find a nice and similar lace and small pieces are inexpensive.