1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repeal of care labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by claireshaeffer, Sep 15, 2020.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I received an email regarding a Federal Trade Commission proposal to repeal the "Care Labeling Rule." This is the little label that tells you what you need to know to care for a new garment. The FTC Commissioner is against this proposal.

Here is the link to Com. Chopra's statement:
    https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/public_statements/1577179/r511915_chopra_statement_on_care_labeling_rule.pdf

To comment, you must do so before Sept. 21, 2020. Here is the link to learn how:
    https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FTC-2020-0058-0001

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Could they come up with another bad idea? Thanks for letting us know, Claire. I can't do anything as I am in Canada.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh good heavens. Thank you for posting these links Claire!

4. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Wow. Thank you, Claire.
    Fascinating to see the politics behind the curtain!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you, Claire. Karin and Mary Jane (and anyone else who is not from the US) - I don't think you need to be a US citizen to comment - just an interested party, although reading further it says your name and State will be posted but I didn't see that when I browsed a few comments. I copied this from the instructions from the second link Claire provided:

Because your comment will be placed on the publicly accessible website, https://www.regulations.gov, you are solely responsible for making sure that your comment does not include any sensitive or confidential information. In particular, your comment should not include any sensitive personal information, such as your or anyone's Social Security number; date of birth; driver's license number or other state identification number, or foreign country equivalent; passport number; financial account number; or credit or debit card number. You are also solely responsible for making sure that your comment does not include any sensitive health information, such as medical records or other individually identifiable health information. In addition, your comment should not include any “[t]rade secret or any commercial or financial information which is . . . privileged or confidential”—as provided in Section 6(f) of the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. 46(f), and FTC Rule 4.10(a)(2), 16 CFR 4.10(a)(2)—including in particular competitively sensitive information such as costs, sales statistics, inventories, formulas, patterns, devices, manufacturing processes, or customer names.

There's quite a bit to read through and absorb. Any one interested in commenting has until the 21st to do so. So far, most of the comments I've read have been against the change and some are from dry cleaners.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I received it from ITAA--International Textile and Apparel Assn. This is the college prof. org.