1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requesting advice on selling....

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, Jul 26, 2004.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Hello all,

As it is, my closets are overflowing with vintage stuff and I've had to confront the need to sell off some of it.

That being said, I've never attempted to sell vintage before and I was hoping you could offer me a little help on how/when would be best to sell some of my stuff.

First off, I have a LOT of dresses - evening gowns, cocktail dresses, prom dresses, dressy dresses, even a wedding dress - mostly from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. Think like Jessica McClintock/Gunne Sax, Loralie, Victorian inspired, mass produced and handmade, sequins, bows, velvet, satin... A lot of them are more gothic/romantic styled in blacks, reds, with big skirts, poofy sleeves, ruched bodices, you get the idea.

Second, I'm also a coat fiend and have a number of 1940's - 1970's coats including in real fur, faux fur, leather, and wool. Also have a couple capes in wool that I plan on selling. Again, most of these are black in color.

What would be my best bet on selling these items? I was contemplating Ebay, a shop on the VC Mall, maybe even a gothic themed secondhand clothing site such as http://www.velvetgarden.net/index.html

Also there's another question of how well these items would sell - or if it might be better to hold off until a later date or season.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me and I apolgize if I sound like a real amateur (which I am, I suppose!).

Thanks!
    ~Tiff~

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hey Tiff, we all started out at some point! I was fortunate when I started to sell on Ebay to have a couple of sellers that I had purchased from and that I had become friends with give me a lot of a advice (at that time there was no
    VFG or even a VC&A board on Ebay).

Anyway, Ebay is very slow at the moment. The end of
    July and beginning of August are traditionally slow and this year is no exception.

I would hold off on your gowns and dresses until the end of August or beginning of Sept. Any that look a bit 'costumey'
    list with Hallowe'en in mind. Last year costume type
    dresses/gowns did very well, and gothic styled particularly is
    usually super for this time of year.

I am going to start listing coats around the 3rd week in
    August. Middle of August to middle of October is usually
    good for coats, after that, believe it or not, the market
    dies. Beginning to middle of October is also a good time to
    start thinking about selling dresses for holiday parties.

Okay...that is a start, it is 2:00 a.m. here and I'm exhausted, however I'm sure that more people will respond to this with
    their opinions on when to sell, etc.

Oh...Opening a VC-Mall store is a great idea. It is very affordable and more and more people are finding the shops there.

The trick to having a mall shop (and one which I have to
    work on myself) is having a lot of stuff up that people can look at.

Good luck!

Sue

3. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I just sell according to season the same as the stores. When they start with winter clothes I do.

Also according to upcoming events such as homecoming for gowns or fancy dresses. Mardi gras for gowns. I do do a few summer things for people who will be taking cruises during the holidays. Theres halloween as Sue said. Thanksgiving and fall colors.

Just to warn you things are very slow on ebay right now.

And just come here to ask questions about anything vintage you are selling and we will help you

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

One thing that has helped me a lot has been to shop around and see how other people list their clothing. How they display it, what the photos look like, starting bids; terms of sale, all that good stuff.
    I believe we have two good articles on the site - How to Sell and a How to Buy that might be helpful, too

Holllis

5. Those 80s poufy sleeve evening gowns, short or long, did good for me last October before Halloween. Many bought them for costumes. Be sure to put costume in your title.

August will be a good time to list coats and capes are in! Look in your fashion magazines, scan some pics of things you have similar and put them on auction. Tweeds are still hot, too.

Gunne Sax dresses have always done well for me anytime of the year.

VC Mall would be a wonderful place to list these. You can also take them out and run a few on auction and then put them back in if they do not sell.

I agree with Leisa. You need to sell in season items , just like stores, but if you are selling as a costume, I don't think it matters.

Clothing is hard work to sell. Be sure to have it displayed nicely, steam or press out wrinkles and give good measurements! Once you start, you will be hooked! Good luck.

6. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Linda that wasn't Leisa that was me:P

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

If you haven't already, I would read Hollis' article in the features section. it gives some good tips on what people are looking for.

How to Buy Vintage

I would also take an inventory of what you have.

start with labels, cut, any fabric content on tag, etc. give the item a name or one line description.

check the condition...note any little thing - be meticulous. does it have any rips/tears/stains, etc. even tiny little marks i note. a spot in the lining or a pinhole would most likely be no big deal to someone buying to wear, but the more through you are with condition, the more trust you build with your clientele and they come back for more. Actually rate the item later (good/excellent, etc.) instead of giving it a word grading then forgetting what the condition issue was. and later you can decide what is in apropriate condition and what you will lot or not list...this is just to see what you have.

take a note of any condition issues that are correctable...like the hem needs to be restitched, etc... decide whether you want to or have the ability to undertake it. if not, list as is.

I would also take "flat measurements" of the items. List size if present, esp on the 90s items, but also lay the garment flat, and pull taut but do not stretch, and make notes of bust, shoulder to waist, waist, hips, overall length, inseams, etc... since there are many changes in sizing and even manufacturers vary, it is very important to note.

if you have all that out of the way, then it will make things a lot easier later on.

above all, remember that you are unique and an individual. I can usually sell oddball items and handbags at a better return when other people are languishing with theirs. but on the other hand, the way i can sell Gunne Sax, you would think i don't know my way out of a paper bag. when a customer has similar tastes they will stick around, so just choosing to sell items that you yourself like (and apparently you did as they were yours : ) will give you your identity as a merchant.

I agree, the VC-Mall would be a great way to start selling without the auction countdown pressure of ebay, to learn how to photograph, measure, and write up descriptions, and then when you are comfortable, you can always put some auctions up. a lot of us learned the hard way and just launched auctions and hoped for the best. i definitely have come a long way and thre are a lot of knowledgeable people here not just on dates and makers, but the whole technological aspect as well.

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

While we are bombarding you with suggestions, I want to
    add - pay attention to customer service.

You will get some bizarre and what appear to be nonsensical
    questions to seller, but answer each one. Take care with packaging and add a little thank-you note in your item when you send it.

If you are not planning on selling in high-volume, I would
    forego the automated End of Auction emails and send out
    personal ones if you have the time.

Sue

9. Sorry, Pauline!!

10. Great advice, here! I agree with patentleathershoes, too. We each have our 'element.' There does seem to be a sprinkling of fairy dust on choosing what you truly, personally like and offering it. Others with similar bents gravitate toward you and your 'likings.' :)

Steph

11. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

"You will get some bizarre and what appear to be nonsensical
    questions to seller, but answer each one."

I just want to confirm Sue's comment about that AND warn you to NOT use the ASQ thang on eBay. It makes the questions & answers all appear at the bottom of your listing if you choose eBay as a selling venue. dumb.

I can't really add anything more, but you can agree with me NOW, Linda. ;)

12. I agree now, Leisa! See you are so wise, I just seconded your advice before you gave it!

13. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Thank you guys for all the advice. And I've read over the featured articles and you've done great work with those. Still haven't quite decided the route I'm going to take but you've certainly cleared up a lot of things for me and I hope to be able to offer some neat stuff soon.

Thanks again! :)

~Tiff~