1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Marc Bohan

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by MagsRags, Sep 10, 2023.

1. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

NY Times article: Marc Bohan, Who Oversaw the Dior Look for Decades, Dies at 97

Some beautiful photos and some details I didn't know. Like that Bohan took over Dior in 1960 from Yves St Laurent because St Laurent had been called up by the French army? "The post was supposed to be temporary, Women’s Wear Daily wrote in 2007, but it became permanent after Mr. Saint Laurent — who would go on to launch his own fashion powerhouse — suffered a nervous breakdown during his military service."

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I just wrote about him for the Label Resource. Such a great long life. Off to update the LR.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The NY Times is being kind. YSL was fired primarily for a bad collection that didn't sell, although the collection was too far ahead of its time with black leather croc boots, balaclavas, and knitted turtle necks in 1960, which looked more like 1964 (YSL was borrowing from the street - Beatniks). Dior would have been able to buy YSL out of his military service, but they used it as an excuse to get rid of him. YSl sued Dior via Pierre Berge and won enough money to start his own fashion house in 1961.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I always heard and read the story the way Jonathan presents it. Somehow I thought Bohan passed away about 10 years ago. What very long life he had.