1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russel Taylor fur coat.....Help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by csbrewt, Apr 4, 2013.

1. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

I have a Russel Taylor fur coat, Im having trouble researching this item. The tag inside is very specific and reads:
    Signature Collection styled by Russel Taylor made for VMF limited edition 9999/3039.
    I need help dating this coat, and would love to know what the initials stand for.

Is there a catalog of this series somewhere, anything that can help me identify or date this coat would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I may be wrong, but I think the VMF is the monogrammed initials of the person it was made for. They appear to be embroidered, whereas the rest of the label is printed?

3. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

I never thought of that but the initials are embroidered.

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

In my experience, Russel Taylor coats are good quality faux fur...is that a possibility here?

5. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

I believe so it is so soft it feels real. The lining, the fur and the hooks are in excellent condition.

6. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

My experience too, they are faux. Plus the cleaning label indicates it is faux. "Clean by fur coat method"--is usually found on faux fur coats.

And I agree with Ruth, those are the original owners initials.

7. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

Do you think the designer or the buyer had the initials embroidered? I have seen others with the same tag and initials in them

8. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

But the initials were different...right?
    The salons where these coats were purchased would add the initials. It was a service the store did for the buyer.

9. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

Oh, ok I had no idea this was the case. Yes the initials are different. Thank you!

10. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

Do you know about what decade?

11. Retro Ruth

It's called monogramming. You quite often see it in coat linings, and other clothes. What I've personally not seen before, though I don't know if it's unusual, is that in this case the Designer has left space for it on the label.

12. Retro Ruth

13. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

Thats what threw me, I have never seen a label like it before. Thank you so much I was getting frustrated!

14. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

My perspective, too.

I love when a pile (faux) fur is such good quality, and so nicely made, that it's hard to distinguish from the real deal!

15. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree that Russel Taylor pieces are faux fur, but yours is definitely a very nice quality one! I have one that's not as plush and realistic looking as yours--which does look really soft. I'm guessing that this "Signature Collection" label may have been on a better line than their standard ones, especially given the "limited edition" designation. And, what I've mainly seen is that the initials were monogrammed on a separate label, or on separate squares of fabric--so seeing one with space left on purpose for the initials is pretty cool!

16. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

Great thank you for the feedback, I am new to all this.

17. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The numbers may possibly mean that this coat was # 3039 out of the 9999 they made. You see these same numbers on limited edition items such as prints, collector plates. etc.

18. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Wow....that is a fooler. It looks quite real in photos. I agree with Anne that it must be higher end line as you can usually spot that RT are faux quite quickly.

19. Hi - It's definitely faux fur. The initials are definitely those of the owner.

The numbers appear to be the total # made in the limited edition, and the # of that particular coat, so, it's #3039 of 9999 produced.

Don't feel bad about being fooled. Even my dry-cleaner wasn't aware that "Clean by Fur Method" indicates it's NOT actually fur, but should be treated as if it were.

20. csbrewt

csbrewt Registered Guest

Well I got a good deal, so I'm happy.