1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

Does anyone know if Sally Victor ever made purses? I have a purse I’m getting ready to list, but I’m not sure if the Sally Victor hangtag is correct. It’s made from straw, which was one of her preferred materials. But there is a label sewn on the inside that says Made in Italy. From what I’ve seen, her hats have union tags, so they were not made abroad. Outside of hats, I have only been able to find a few handkerchiefs with her signature as well as one hat/gloves combo and one hat/small evening purse combo (but the purse had a Sally Victor label on the inside).

Any insight would be appreciated! Photos are attached.

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I once sold a hat/glove combo set of hers. 1930s. Here it is as well as the label with a signature. Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.08.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.08.52 PM.png

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, that is "the" Sally Victor.

4. greatglenvintage

I found one more “accessory set” on the Met’s website. I’m just curious about the Made in Italy label on the inside. Obviously the hangtag could have just been looped on the purse by anyone. I don’t want to sell this as a Sally Victor if it is not.

5. greatglenvintage

Could anyone help with dating as well? The bag is a basket type bag with a fabric drawstring top.

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I see an article from 1958 that talks about her pairing a hat with a purse so sounds like she definitely did purses in the late 50s
    upload_2021-2-14_21-55-39.png

7. Vintagiality

And this one from 1955
    upload_2021-2-14_21-58-49.png

8. Vintagiality

Also an indication she used straw from Italy so it wouldn't be a stretch for her purses
    upload_2021-2-14_22-10-8.png

9. greatglenvintage

So helpful - thank you so much!

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

@greatglenvintage We would love to have your permission to add this hang tag to our Label Resource, thanks!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  12. greatglenvintage

Of course!

Distantdetails likes this.
  13. greatglenvintage

I do have some better photos of everything if you would like. Just let me know!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  14. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Thank you! Your pic is fine :USETHUMBUP: