1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searched and came to a dead end

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Rock that frock, Nov 20, 2017.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I'm sorry for my late reply Joanne. I agree with the general consensus and think 40s/50s. I am sure there are 80s dresses with stays but I've only seen them in dresses that were from the 60s and earlier.

That 2 piece dress also has mid-century characteristics, ie; the intricately detailed collar combined with the shoulder pads, side zipper with snap, hook and eye closures, as well as the length of the skirt.
    I wish the seller would have said whether the zipper was metal. That always helps when determining age.

I also notice both being crochet ribbon designs. I wonder if that was a Marina, California specialty or if it was just chance that yours is like that and so was the one that you found.

Both beautiful. :)

Rock that frock likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great dress and I agree with the older dating. Raffia was used from time to time but not in this case. I recently purchased this skirt and have a few others in the past as well. The raffia is used in between the floral ribbon.

50s-Italian-Straw-w-Roses-Skirt_grande.jpg

I also have a ribbon knit suit but it does not have your label - mine has an old Henri Bendel label in it.

henri bendel.jpg

3. Spectacular skirt MJ! I didn’t realize it was used in clothing: How would you recommend washing?

4. I've had 50s hats made out of that same ribbon material.

5. Rock that frock

Rock that frock Registered Guest

So very pretty!

6. bycin

bycin Guest

As a knitter... you could tell a bit more about the piece turning it inside out and looking at the finishing on it. The seam binding has been a pretty classic seam finishing for a knitter to use. I've seen garments made of ribbon 'yarns' for a long time. Every so often there's a revival of interest. Like 1985 you were seeing it everywhere! But I had a 1950s suit in the shop for a while that was ribbon yarn. It's a classic that comes in and out of vogue I guess is what I'm saying.

This dress though, its style, and the label, look more 1970s.

7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Me too -- It reminds me of a pink ribbon crocheted 50s dress set I have somewhere, with the same/similar crochet stitch used on those midcentury Hawaiian tourist raffia skirts.