Searched and came to a dead end

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Label Q & A' started by Rock that frock, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

Thanks Joanne. I’ll stick with late ‘40s to early ‘50s with a note that the hips are exceptionally slim. I hope the crochet has stretch.

Rock that frock likes this.
  2. Rock that frock

Rock that frock Registered Guest

Thank you so very much Nicole. I really appreciate all your time and effort to help me!

xx

Joanne

3. Furwise

Furwise Administrator Staff Member

I'm sorry for my late reply Joanne. I agree with the general consensus and think 40s/50s. I am sure there are 80s dresses with stays but I've only seen them in dresses that were from the 60s and earlier.

That 2 piece dress also has mid-century characteristics, ie; the intricately detailed collar combined with the shoulder pads, side zipper with snap, hook and eye closures, as well as the length of the skirt.
    I wish the seller would have said whether the zipper was metal. That always helps when determining age.

I also notice both being crochet ribbon designs. I wonder if that was a Marina, California specialty or if it was just chance that yours is like that and so was the one that you found.

Both beautiful. :)

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

Great dress and I agree with the older dating. Raffia was used from time to time but not in this case. I recently purchased this skirt and have a few others in the past as well. The raffia is used in between the floral ribbon.

50s-Italian-Straw-w-Roses-Skirt_grande.jpg

I also have a ribbon knit suit but it does not have your label - mine has an old Henri Bendel label in it.

henri bendel.jpg

5. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

Spectacular skirt MJ! I didn’t realize it was used in clothing: How would you recommend washing?

6. I've had 50s hats made out of that same ribbon material.