1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

searching for 40s/50s Dior model Dexter Vaughn

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by vintagevixen, Jan 4, 2007.

1. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

Hi All,

Any historians out there? I got an email from a woman who's seeking information on Pearl Dexter, a Christian Dior model in the 40s/50s. She called herself Dexter Vaughn while modeling. Does anybody have a lead on this? I've checked my references but have no mention. She would be 82 to 85 years old by now.

BTW in case you are interested in vintage modeling miscellany, here's our most recent article at Vintage Vixen:

http://www.vintagevixen.com/articlesIndustry/powersModels.asp

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

April

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  2. Donald Campbell

Donald Campbell Registered Guest

It is now August 11 2020 and I knew Dexter when in 1954, I became an assistant with the couturier John Cavanagh in London.She had just returned from Paris and was the star of all the shows. She had the most marvelous walk, where she appeared to float. I knew her for many years and when I started my own business, she was a client; after her husband, Philip Aizlewood died in France, she worked for me, selling clothes. After Philip's death, she was rudderless and decided to live in Spain. It was not a success and the last sighting of her was in a pantechnicon coming back from Spain with her worldly goods. This was about 1979 and after that, no one seemed to know where she was as she had cut off all contact with her old friends. A few years ago, I found out that she was in a retirement home in Kent but I never contacted her. She had been in the WACS in WW11 so would be in her 90's if still alive. She always cultivated an air of mystery, rather like Marlene Deitrich, to whom she was often compared. By the way, she always told me that her real first name was Daisy!

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Donald, that is fascinating. Thank you for sharing your long-time memories of Dexter!

4. Melissa Murnane

Melissa Murnane Registered Guest

Thank you so much, Donald, for sharing your story!

My great Aunt was searching for her a few years ago. She was located, but didn't wish to be contacted.

She was my great Aunt's and Grandma's half sister (I guess my half great aunt!) They shared their father, and they were much younger than she. She left the family home and went on to have her fabulous career and life, but was estranged from her family from what I know.

Her first name wasn't Daisy. And her last
    name wasn't Vaughn! She clearly was both beautiful and mysterious!
    Edit: I felt I wanted to respect her wish for privacy but I note her name is actually in the first post... Pearl Dexter!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021