1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking advice on value of an original Elvis shirt from his movies

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 5tictoc, Oct 13, 2020.

1. 5tictoc

5tictoc Registered Guest

Recently, while cleaning out closet, re-found an Elvis shirt he wore in his movies. In 1974, an uncle worked in costume department in Hollywood, gave it to me....pictures available if interested. Looking some how to see if its worth anything?

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi there. We can't help with valuation here, see forum rules.

If you have provenance to show that it was definitely worn by Elvis, then I'm sure it's worth a lot. But we don't name figures here .

You could try contacting an auction house

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Absolutely agree Ruth, " provenance", it would be worth a fair penny if genuine.

My Mum had such a shirt, given her by a good friend who had worked on the set of an EP film in the 60s.

As were many, mum was an EP fan in her younger days and she was very proud of her shirt.

I never told her but her shirt never saw the light of day of Elvis.

If I had a penny for every item, shirts and scarfs mainly, purported to have been worn, touched by EP given to the recipient by EP or someone working in a Hollywood costume department, that came my way.

But you can never say never.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    MagsRags and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, we would love to see a photo or 2. You will have to have provenance or some proof this was actually worn by Elvis, or even worn in one of his movies at all.....still might be of interest even if worn by an extra or EP stand-in or EP double. Or it could have been made for Elvis to be worn in a movie, but it may be an "extra" shirt that he never actually wore. If it is a film studio costume, it should have a tiny and usually hand written cotton label sewn inside, or sometimes they wrote on the selvages with initials of the actor and the scene #. Of course these can be lost or removed over time.

Do you know the name of the movie? You can watch all of Elvis's movies to see if you can see the shirt in the film.

But without any proof, a reputable auction house will not want it.

If you can pinpoint a scene in a movie with Elvis wearing that same style shirt, and you have no proof, Ebay might be the way to go and sell it as "Elvis style" as worn in that specific film, etc. .

Bonham's Auction here in Hollywood might be of some help if you have provenance.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Or measure the shirt collar size as a first.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. 5tictoc

5tictoc Registered Guest

Thank you all...excellent advice.

Retro Ruth likes this.