1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shameless publicity for a UK event!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by artizania, Sep 20, 2004.

1. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

This coming Sunday - 26th September - is my "Antique & Vintage Clothing & Textiles Fair" in Manchester UK.

Full details can be found under Artfairs on my website

About 60 dealers from across the UK and France all selling antique & vintage clothing, accessories, fabrics, haberdashery etc.

Admission is FREE to any VFG member - or if you attend in *original* vintage clothing! :)

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Margaret, it looks like a fabulous event! Wish I could go, but
    there's a big body of water in the way! :)

You will have to let us know if any VFG peeps show up!

Sue

3. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

Cool! Wish I could be there.

Deb

4. artizania

Thanks chaps! :) ........... and ........................ARGHHHHH! one of my dealers has just called to say she'd been asked to go look at a batch of "old clothes", only to discover 6 - yes 6 - Ossie Clark's!!!! (She will have them at the Fair on Sunday - dresses and trouser suits!)

Geezzzzz! i wish I gotr calls like that!

5. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I wish I could be in Manchester this weekend!!! :(

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Well, although I would love to lose a few pounds right now, I don't have any extra of the British kind.

7. lahtique

lahtique Registered Guest

This does look like a fun show but I will be setting up at a show in the states this weekend. It is the Vintage Clothing Show at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Washington, Sept 24 - 26, 2004.
    For info go to www.palmerwirfs.com and click on the Vintage show at the Dome. It is in conjunction with the Antiques & Collectibles show and has a separate area all carpeted & draped...a beautiful venue with lots of local dealers.
    I am new to this site, in fact this is my first post...I guess I'm official!!
    I really enjoy reading about the vintage clothing and other items on the boards. We have been in a local antiques mall for 18 years and they are closing their doors this month. :( Needless to say...I lost my Vintage venue. :(
    I am looking forward to getting started with this site.
    Thanks for being out there. :)
    Jan

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Welcome Jan! And good luck with the show in Tacoma. I have some friends who collect who live in Vancouver B.C. and are planning on attending...

9. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

I'm going to try and get to the fair in Manchester... but I won't be able to stay long as I'm in work that afternoon :( ... so I'll have to get spending *very* quickly won't I?! LOL!

And I'm glad it's not just a vintage clothes fair as it might give me a chance to find some curtains for my time-warped 60s house. :) fingers crossed anyway.

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

10. artizania

Brilliant! Senti - trade entry is at 8am, so feel free to take advantage of it! As for the 60s fabric - BAGS of it, you'll be spoilt for chice! :)

11. premierludwig

Thanks Margaret. I prolly won't be there *quite* that early as I'm working late into the evening so an early morning will be too much for me, LOL!

But I'm really looking forward to it, and I think a neighbour and my mother are wanting to tag along now too! I can't imagine my mother in vintage gear (admittedly I nicked all the 60s clothes she'd saved, but she'd never wear them again in a million years) but she'll love the rest of it.

Anyway, the event sounds fabulous, can't wait!

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

12. premierludwig

Well, fabulously the gig at work was cancelled so I didn't have to go in today, and spent several hours spending my money in Manchester instead! :) :)

I didn't come back with any major labels, but found some fun items. I did try on the most divine 1960s evening dress by Susan Small but decided it needed to go home with a more voluptuous lady as my chest didn't do it any justice. :( :(

Oh well, I'll enjoy my new black fringey twist dress very much. :)

Oh, and my mother spent a fortune on a fur coat which was a bit of a shock to her system as she was only coming along for the ride and didn't intend to buy anything!

Anyway, Thanks for the fabulous event!

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

13. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Cool Senti! Did you meet any other VFG'rs? Like our past pres - Margaret?

And Margaret...how did the fair go? Fill us in!

Sue

14. artizania

Glad you enjoyed it Senti - and your mother too! Wish you'd stopped to say 'hello', but no doubt I was on one of my 'rounds'! ;-)

Sue - the Fair went very well, but as with most UK fairs the visitor numbers were lower than usual. Some lovely stuff available - I treated myself to an 18thC pannier dress in awful condition ( the silk is splitting badly, which is why I could afford it!), and picked up a great 50s dress & bolero top (green) which was worn to Westminster Abbey for the Queens coronation in 1953! Can't wait to photograph it as it has a weird and wonderful feature on the skirt front!

Picked up a couple more dresses too - and managed to walk away from a gorgeous emerald green Ossie Clark evening dress, even though it was only £70 - but with large stains down the front! (Good insider info being that 3 lots of dry-cleaning hadn't budged them!)

AND I even managed to do a few sales of my own from the small amount of stuff I could fit in the car!

SO - a good day! ;=)

15. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Margaret, that is great! I can't wait to see pics of the 50s coronation-attending dress!

Sue

16. premierludwig

Well, I'm hooked now, so I'll deffinately be along to another Fair, and I'll try and find you and say hello. :)

The coronation outfit sounds so fabulous (I'm a royalist as well as a vintage clothing addict, so it's super exciting!), I can't wait to see pictures.

And I remember the Ossie Clark, I couldn't walk past without going over to look at it! His designs are just *divine*.

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

17. dibs2002

Yes, please post the pix Margaret. It sounds like it was a great day.

Deb

18. Can't wait to see the pics!! Would have loved to have been there. Cannot believe some of you are so close..maybe even walked by each other and didn't know it!

Senti, what type of curtains are you looking for? I have quite a few in my inventory. Not that I could find them readily, but maybe one day...:D

19. premierludwig

I have a room that has a geometric brown and orange carpet which needs some curtains for a small window.

And I have a red and blue mid-60s kitchen which needs rather a lot of curtain fabric... I may just give in and go for regular red gingham for that room to be honest.

And I also have one bedroom with white and pale turquoise geometric wallpaper which could do with a different pair of curtains.

So I'm always on the lookout. :)

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

20. dibs2002

I remember the brown and orange years. We had 2 velvet rocking chairs, that went with our velvet wallpaper. The wallpaper was mustard yellow velvet floral-sort-of pattern on a white background, and one wall had dark wood panelling. We had 1 orange velvet chair and 1 brown velvet chair. And green carpet. And shag carpet... Rust, yellow and brown with black swirls, ceiling to floor drapes.

Life was colorful!

Deb