1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silk scarf by Richard Allan?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midge, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This is my favourite scarf right now! I found this at a flea market in London a few years ago and bought it because of the eye-popping color combination. First I wanted to turn it into a top or something like that, but actually and it's much better to wear it as it is with a jacket. Besides, it's actually too nice to take apart - it's silk and it's hand-rolled.

It's also very prominently signed (printed-on) and I was wondering if any of you have heard of this Richard Allan before? I didn't find anything on the internet. Is this a fictitious name or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karin

2. Can't help you with the name but it's a beautiful scarf! :clapping:

3. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Hi Karin,

I've just googled 'richard allan vintage' and the 1st page shows his vintage scarves for sale at different vintage shops...haven't looked into them, but some should hold more info......

Sarah

4. awaywiffairies

330358622918 listing no on Ebay actually gives some info about Richard Allan which is interesting.

Sarah

5. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

I have a Richard Allan scarf, not as old as yours though. I don't know anything about richard allan, but I have heard that people collect his scarfs. I think "he" (if it was an actual person) was known for brightly coloured designs. The experts will come by later and offer real information i'm sure! :)

6. awaywiffairies

From Ebay listing that I referred to:

"RICHARD ALLAN bought out the prestigious JACQMAR scarf name in the 1950s & became renowned for producing unusual & extrovert, artistic & colourful designs of exceptional quality.

Scarves bearing the RICHARD ALLAN name were printed at WORLD of SILK (David Evans & Co. Crayford, Kent, England, Founded in 1843) and the name has become synonymous with quality."

But as Rosine says, real experts will be along I'm sure, I just thought I'd see what I could find for you :sunshine:

Sarah

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Sarah! Honestly, I hadn't thought about looking through ebay... anyway, the name Jacqmar turned up a bit more on Google: http://www.scarfcollector.myby.co.uk/page_1.htm

Looks like I made a good find! I found this in a bin with a lot of uninteresting scarves... it was sort of a market for secondhand, vintage and re-made clothes, and to be honest, most of the stuff there was too expensive - I had already spent most of my budget at TopShop and on a vintage 1950s dress (London still is pretty expensive for us... and they say Zurich is an expensive place! :wow: ).

Karin

8. awaywiffairies

Interesting info! U might want to add to the label resource...not a label in the strict sense, but would be very useful.

Great find, must admit I have not found one scarf in the boot fairs or markets I've been to, so lucky you!

London is soooooo expensive, I stay clear..too many temptations and too little money to indulge! :rolleyes:

Sarah

9. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

I have no idea but that is awesome!