1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skirt Date Help Please - Anyone???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by awaywiffairies, Nov 2, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

:hiya:

I've had this skirt a while now and unsure as to the date.

The fabric includes little round mirrors inside the white flowers and I have shown the reverse of the fabric. Label 'RECKONS' though cannot find anything on name.

The construction is quite shoddy, like a bad homemade job so surprised it has a label. (I found this wen I first started out & not 1 of my better finds) The waist is quite small. Hook and eye side closure.

I've got a bag that has those mirrors but that's 90s...could this also be from the 90s??

Sarah

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

Have no idea about the date. I'm horrible with dates. But that is all Hand Embroidered. Very pretty.

3. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

That waist line looks 70's, Can we see the fabric label?

4. awaywiffairies

I posted a pic of the label? RECKONS is the name of the label.....

I wondered if it was hand embroidered, so thanks for confirmation..was thinking this might be a holiday souvenir skirt maybe....

Sarah

5. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

oh I guess I misunderstood I thought you meant there was a fabric content label on the reverse of the brand label.

6. awaywiffairies

....nah, that's just me creating confusion!!

Anyone have any idea re date? I've had this skirt for ages & have been a bit stumped re date. No fabric content and definitely handworked.

:help: If more photos are needed just shout!

Sarah

7. I remember seeing similar things around in the late '70s, early '80s - that's a lot of work in the embroidery. I think they were made in India but yours might be a local version made by someone with a lot of time on their hands (the Indian versions were usually well made).

Nicole

8. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

I think they have this brand at the Buckle....

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me of the Hippie-style stuff I so loved to wear in the 90s - I usually had these things from market/flea markets, and they all came from India. But I don't think any of those pieces was actually embroidered by hand. The quality usually wasn't grand.

Karin

10. awaywiffairies

Thanks Karin, I thought 90s but only cos I had a handbag which had the mirror inserts. Consensus seems to be late 70s it seems.

Vicki...you mentioned brand at the buckle??????

Sarah

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

How odd that all that hand embroidery should be combined with shoddy construction (especially if it's a commercial label garment).

I associate slapdash sewing in commercial garments with machine embroidery, and hand embroidery (whether commercial or home sewn) with more careful finishing...

:scratchchin:

Not very helpful input, sorry!

It's very pretty...

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

its totally possible that "Reckons" sources fabric from India, or Indonesia (there's a ton of this mirrored fabric down there, too, the Indians are a huge sector of the populace) and/or has it constructed there, as well.

manufacturing/sewing ranges from fine tailors to untrained home-sewers with minimal experience. a LOT of companies produce their garments there because it's SO inexpensive ~

that Reckons label looks more recent than 70s to me ~ reminds me of more of a late 90s label, too.

as far as the design of the skirt, wide waisted basic dirndl, that hasn't really been popular since the 60s, has it? although it IS a good style to show the great fabric. fwiw.

13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

and actually, the label is sewn in so poorly, too, that it wouldn't suprise me if someone sewed a label from a recent garment into a home-sewn garment to give it more "validity" to sell...

14. awaywiffairies

My gut feeling is that this is home/school project....

Sarah

15. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Sarah,

I can't find it again but when I searched for the brand it came up as one sold at "The Buckle".

The Buckle is an American chain store typically found in malls. My guess is it is mid to late 90s.

Good Luck!

Vicki

16. GreenVioletVintage

GreenVioletVintage Registered Guest

I have a skirt similar to this that I always assumed was an import from India or somewhere in the East and certainly never thought it to be vintage. I'm going with 90s also- though this is based on my skirt which does not have the same label. It does have the same waistband construction, mirrors, and heavy embroidery, though.

[​IMG]

17. awaywiffairies

Thanks everyone,, 90s it is. In my defence it was an item that I bought when I first started buying vintage, I'm getting better at unearthing vintage and leaving non-vintage alone though still have the odd moment lol!

Sarah

18. awaywiffairies

.....and yes GreenVioletVintage it is like your's, kind of glad that I was right about my original 90s assumption. Don't know what to do with it though as can't sell as vintage & it certainly doesn't fit me! Just a lesson learnt I think!

Sarah

19. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

Don't worry Sarah. Vintage is truly a learning process. I learn something new every single day!

20. Greysone

Greysone Registered Guest

Thinking this might be a holiday souvenir skirt maybe..That was i think for now..

Regards

Greysone
    Surendettement