1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smelly velvet...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Braindeer, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Braindeer

Braindeer Registered Guest

Hi all,

I have a fab green velvet 1960s shift which I bought in a vintage store earlier this year. I was told by the store that it had been dry cleaned, and it looked (and smelled) pretty clean when I bought it. I didn't sniff the 'pits though...my mistake!

The first time I actually wore it, I realised that the previous owner had done some pretty serious sweating in it - within five minutes of it being in contact with a warm body, the armpits started to emit a strong sweaty odour - definitely not mine! So I took it to be dry cleaned again, thinking maybe the store just lied to me, but even after a thorough dry clean, the armpits still smell really grim! I can't wear it at all! Such a shame it because it fits like a glove - could have been made for me! I've got a lot of Christmas parties coming up and being rather festive green velvet, it would be perfect!

Any tips?! I've read the thread on cleaning velvet, and someone there suggested burying it in clean cat litter to get rid of a musty smell...would that combat the sweaty stench do you think?

Thanks for your help!

2. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Could you put it somewhere that is at body temperature for a long period of time? that what I say is a no risk solution but might not work but then it might just over a long period.

Velvet can be steamed saying that we have only done it with brand new to get the creases out, using wet steam.

vintage dresses might not take that too well.

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Vodka--sprinkle the inside of the pits with vodka. You'll need to be careful to not get the fabric too damp, as it will bleed through and possibly damage or discolor/stain the velvet. Dry cleaning won't help. Fortunately, I've never had this problem but several members have said it works wonders!

I would turn the dress inside out and give it a light steaming first--to warm up the fabric and start releasing the "eau de pit fragrance" first, then use a sprinkle bottle if you have one, or a salt shaker with teeny holes to hold and sprinkle the vodka on with. You may have to do this a couple times, from what I've heard. Also, if that doesn't alleviate it completely, you could try hanging the dress out in the fresh air for several days, and hang it somewhere that critters won't get on it or other things (but bring it in at night).... I don't think you'll have to worry about moths at this time of year, unless you're in a warm climate.

4. A not uncommon problem with vintage clothes, sadly, - I haven't tried the vodka trick but I've had advice from a conservator that whilst the ethanol in the vodka would kill the bacteria in the fabric, the sugars in the alcohol will remain in the fabric and potentially grown more bacteria.

A solution suggested was to dab a small amount of Dettol to kill the bacteria - but it's best to to a test first, as you don't want to affect the fabric dyes.

5. regan

regan Registered Guest

You might want to try vinegar.

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I sometimes toss some white vinegar in the wash water when washing vintage lingerie, more for helping to clean it, but everything does come out smelling nice and fresh. Have never tried it on "dry" fabric for odors, but it night work. I wonder--would something like vinegar or peroxide help to dissolve the alcohol sugars if you tried the vodka first, then followed it up with whatever might help? I have no idea--just thinking out loud here....

I've used both baking soda and kitty litter to freshen things like the interior of handbags and suitcases, but I don't know how you'd use these to de-odorify (?) a dress. I'd think it could be mighty messy to bury the dress in kitty litter--I can't imagine trying to get that out of a velvet dress. I'd think the nap would hang onto it for dear life.

7. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

What about activated charcoal? I know this works great on books to get rid of musty odors but I have never tried it on clothing. Maybe someone here has tried it on clothing and will comment.