1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snakeskin peep toe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Giuseppe, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Registered Guest

My dears,
    I really need help dating this peep toe slingback. The heel tip is not Metal.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Stacy likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think the heel tip is a fairly recent repair. What do you think, holding the shoe yourself?

I think the shoe, from the quick photos provided, is late 1950s to very early 1960s.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

hmmm. i'm getting a 70s vibe from them. had some very similar back then...

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I can see why you see 70s in that but I think - from what I see in the photos - that heel is earlier.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

7. Giuseppe

View attachment 74362 View attachment 74363 View attachment 74364 View attachment 74365 View attachment 74366 My dear, from holding it I felt a 70s vibe too. I mean, that rectangular heel tip really sold the 70s for me but it' s the lettering that got me thinking 50s. Attached here there is a picture of the snakeskin shoe's bed and the exact same model in leather with a different heel but with a different marking that I would date late 60s to early 70s. The brand is Lori Roma for both. Could it be that the lettering was different because of the material used?. Even the inscription, Saxon Mills 66 matches.
    Thanks for every suggestion!

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I think late 70s to early 80's on balance as well, from two things, that rectangular heel tip, which I have never seen on a 50s shoe, and the large font horizontal brand logo which is in the late 60s-1970's style.

The second shoe photos are very helpful. That is a 1950s shoe, the brand label style is earlier as is the cuban heel shape. The owner clearly liked this style so either took the earlier pair in to be copied by the maker or purchased the same style again when it came back into fashion.

The confusing part is that the later shoe is all leather/snakeskin made at a time when most footwear has moved into some if not all plastics. It's because it's an Italian maker that the use of leather has continued so late.

Giuseppe likes this.
  9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

omg. thanks for the photos! DEFINITELY a 70s shoe!!

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Oh about heel tips... those can be part of general repair and maintenance so I am careful about dating a shoe based on that. Sorry I was all over the place on this one. Font nailed it for me.

11. Giuseppe

Thank you all guys!!

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member