1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sourcing vintage buttons

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Darrell F, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Darrell F

Darrell F Registered Guest

VFG members -

Recently, I purchased a 1970's polka dot jumpsuit - retailed by Stanley Korshak (Chicago). On the sleeve, there are two buttons missing.

Due to the uniqueness of the fabric pattern, I ask members for any guidance/knowledge of vendors/websites who deal in vintage buttons - esp., sourcing unique patterns.

Picture of the sleeve with missing buttons attached. (blue and white polka dot pattern)

My thanks

Darrell Polka Dot.jpg

poshthreads likes this.
  2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Not sure if you will be able to find this exact pattern. Is there any fabric you can take from an inside seam and cover another button of the same size? That would be much easier to find

3. Darrell F

Darrell F Registered Guest

Thanks; I appreciate the recommendation.

4. Cestsibon

Cestsibon Administrator Staff Member

BRAVO, that's my 1st recommendation as well - plus the fabric is the same wear in years.!

5. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Another thing you could consider, depending on the sleeve length, would be to turn back the cuffs to make French cuffs, remove the snaps, and add buttonholes where the snaps are and to the turn back.

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

As a last resort you could change out all the cuff buttons with a coordinating color. Not ideal, but it's been known to be necessary.

Distantdetails likes this.