1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splendid Red and Turquoise Half-Sleeved Wool Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Phil van Kleur, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Phil van Kleur

Phil van Kleur Registered Guest

There are two items in my collection which warrant the word "Splendid", and this is the other one. It's a long red wool coat with bold turquoise embroidery. One wouldn't think these colours go together, but they do. The sleeves are about half length, and somewhat remind me of a kimono, though they're not flared. We think it might be North African. Once again, I bought it in Oxford: it turned up at a local outside-market clothes stall. The turquoise well matches the rather cold blue sky: it was February when I took the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This also reminds me of Central Asian motifs, though in this case they were used to create what looks more like fashion item. Suzani were usually hand-embroidered wall-hangings. If you google them, you'll see what I mean. In the last 10 years or so I have seen a lot of things cropping up here with similar suzani-inspired embroidery. Cushions, bags, boots...

The Vintage Merchant likes this.