1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: INAUGURAL BALL GOWNS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

This Wednesday, January 20th, Joseph R. Biden, Jr. will take the oath of office and become the 46th President of the United States. Due to the Pandemic, there will be no Inaugural Ball capping this year's festivities. Instead there will be a 90 Minute Prime Time special hosted by Tom Hanks that will air at 8:30EST. It will be shown on many major networks and streamed on various platforms.

Most of us at the VFG have loved checking out the gowns. This is from 2009:

upload_2021-1-18_14-3-27.jpeg

Many of the former First Lady's gowns are on display at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington. And many can be found by doing searches.

[​IMG]

upload_2021-1-18_13-55-32.jpeg [​IMG]

[​IMG] upload_2021-1-18_14-44-26.jpeg upload_2021-1-18_14-55-30.jpeg

For this weeks "SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE" - find a gown* you would want to wear if you were attending the Inaugural Ball - or that you would like to see the new First Lady or Vice President (Elect) Harris wear.

* Vintage (of course!) Please credit the source if you are "borrowing" 'it!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I would wear this early 70s Hardy Amies gown. I think it made me feel more glamorous than I had any right to feel!
    goldhardyamiespaula1.jpg

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

This gown in my shop right now which I absolutely love
    il_794xN.2362544446_cwit.jpg

4. denisebrain

I love that one too Victoria! The color!

Racked Vintage likes this.
  5. Linn

I love both of them. I am torn so haven't selected one for myself although this one is in the running:

[​IMG]

This is a Chez Ninon gown (after Nina Ricci) owned by Jackie Kennedy

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. Linn

8. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

9. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I had the pleasure of seeing the First Lady Inaugural exhibit at the Smithsonian in 2015. I can't believe how much time I spent at each "station". It is a beautiful exhibit, and I admit I kept staring at how small some of these ladies were. Also, the ones I thought were more heavy-set did not appear so on the life-size mannequin. My pictures were not so good, so I purchased the companion book.
    Here are a few pictures of the dress, shoes, and jewelry of Michelle Obama.
    95C5F3CF-3475-4834-B0FF-BBDA3C1A6E52.jpeg 104C2CF1-5729-4269-AA5C-F04C8EB283D8.jpeg 3DD06E5A-646B-4298-A849-967A00EFD788.jpeg 8484271C-D79C-4EAF-9D95-A4F8C7A2EC30.jpeg 95A90251-6906-4495-9C02-F3434B26778A.jpeg

GemGem, Racked Vintage and MagsRags like this.
  10. denisebrain

Janine, I visited that display just after Christmas in 2014—and purchased the book as well!

Linn, that is stunning, and it would look fantastic on you with your coloring.
    Love that Helena Barbieri especially MJ—all that red silk satin!

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

All fabulous choices! I visited the Smithsonian exhibit in June 2010 - I spent a few days in Washington after a fabulous doll show in Philadelphia, and pretty much spent those days visiting museums. Go figure...:BAGUSE:. I didn't take any photos there though - it was a very busy day with lots of school kids around. I have a soft spot for Mamie Eisenhower's fuchsia pink gown (which she wore for another occasion) and which is visible in the photo of the gallery that Linn posted. That colour is just perfect, and I like the simple yet elegant shape.