1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Statue of Liberty shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by avamac, Sep 28, 2007.

1. avamac

avamac Alumni

A lime green 'jelly' anklestrap shoe with clear plastic platforms and heels. The heel is filled (or WAS) with liquid and contains a green mini Statue of Liberty.

The original booklet explains that Grendha engaged Patrick Cox--famed designer, associated with CHARLES JOURDAN--to design a full-plastic collection 'straight from the next millenium.'

They are NOS but losing their heel fluid to osmosis and the Liberties are beginning to show white where exposed to air.

These are resurrected from my household archive aka 'the heap', and I think I recall picking them up at a thrift in the early 90s????

ANY INPUT is gratefully appreciated...I have no idea whether NYC is lousy with these or if they are a weird rarity...

2. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Well, I have no input for you , but you MUST show us these fabulous shoes! :love008:

Don't tease us with mere descriptions. :USEGUN:

Janine

3. avamac

avamac Alumni

I'm seriously trying to take some eBay-worthy photos of this stuff....don't mean to be a tease!

Here's a few quick pix...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. borntoolatevintage

borntoolatevintage Registered Guest

I would be very tempted to put some more fluid in through the bottom of the heel and seal it but I would also be keeping them! I like them a lot!

5. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Yeah. I recognize those shoes, or some like them. In the Early to mid 90's when we dressed like space aliens or giant kewpie dolls and went to "parties" in warehouses and liked things that glowed or sparkled... :regan:

6. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Patrick Cox loved doing plastic shoes in the 90's. I had two pair of platform sandals one in hot pink and one in silver that I wore until they literally split! I don't know about the desire for these, I would be tempted to fill them with more liquid and hold onto them a little longer. The 90's comeback is just around the corner. lol

7. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Those are very cool! I was just teasing 'bout teasin'. ;) :kiss2:

Those do look very 90's. I have no idea if there a zillion of them around or not.

I wonder what the liquid is? :puzzled:

I have a vintage viscosity meter, which is made from glass test tubes filled with glycerin of varying viscosities, all mounted in a wooden frame. I wonder if the liquid is glycerin? How would you seal it in there??

Janine

8. avamac

avamac Alumni

I don't think I'd fool with the liquid without rubber gloves. It's not goopy....it acts like plain old h20. But from WHERE? Oops...according to the sole...BRAZIL.

I think the only way to fool with the liquid would be to peel back the jelly upper, which is securely sealed on; I would be afraid of destroying the shoe.

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

If you have access to a needle and syringe, you might be able to inject fluid into the cavity. It would need to be a very sturdy needle, about the same thickness as is used to start IVs, say 16 gage. A thin needle would probably bend. Anyway, depending if the jelly is really rubbery, it might seal itself from the needle. Otherwise, you'd have to use something to re-seal the tiny puncture hole.
    They're pretty cute!

10. avamac

avamac Alumni

That's a possibility...!

11. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

I would first research how they are manufactured to find out what Ms. Liberty is swimming in. You don't want to make things worse.

Actually, you could sell them as-is and market them as theme shoes for future NYC low-tide scenario's such as:

A) A Planet of the Apes kind o' world

or

B) A Global Warming kind o' world

I actually like the sloshing around effect. :cool:

Janine

12. ruckuskitten

ruckuskitten Registered Guest

Ooh! My aunt had those EXACT shoes. I remember when she bought them, and I was about ten, so it was 1995.

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Summer 1996 to be exact... Cox donated several pairs to the museum but they didn't age well - same problem with water evaporating from the heels or becoming cloudy and the objects in the heels becoming rusted, oxidized, etc. They were fun but not well thought out. Why he didn't use solid plexi heels I won't understand! Originally I believe some of them also had snow in them, so they were like snow globes. We had Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, and Eiffel Tower. I believe there was also Big Ben and a few other styles as well.