1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Striped SHARKSKIN Sports Jacket.....VLV appeal??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Gilo49, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Gilo49

Gilo49 Alumni

Hi everyone! Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the help with my union label dillema!<P>Just a quick opinion...I really like this jacket. It's so nerdy cool! It's made of irridescent green/teal blue sharkskin and has yellow and orange stripes. I think it dates to the early 1960's and has Mod styling....but do you think it has VLV appeal or would you simply market it as mod? Thanks!! Joanne<P>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Hmm. That may be a more modern jacket. The 4 button closure isn't 50s or 60s - those are 3 or 2 buttons And that wide lapel isn't 50s or 60 either. It's a 70s design line. Altough the 70s usually had a deeper, 2 button opening, the better to show your wide tie. The color combo is more 70s as well.

On the other hand, there were young trendy suits in the 60s that were very Edwardian inspired, but those never made it to the midwest, so I don't know them. So it could be one of those, in which case Mod is exactly right.

Any menswear fans out there who can help?

Hollis

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I am not a big menswear expert.
    Can you scan or take a photo of the label? That may very well help. It is not necessarily always whose name is on it, but what it looks like

Chris

4. Vixen

Vixen Registered Guest

I agree with Hollis 100%. Older suits had 2 buttons. And the lapels were thinner back in the day, not wider. Other signs to check for are:
    Is there a smaller pocket INSIDE the front pockets? This was a feature in older (50s/60s) suits.
    Check this inside pocket, and sort of flip it open, see if there's any hand writting etc. Usually really old & well made or custom made suits will have the tailor's writing in it, and maybe even the year.
    Also, are the insides of the sleeves? Are the same fabric as the rest of the suit?

To me it looks like a suit an older man would have worn in the 70s. I love the pin-stripping! I also think shark-skin has more of a sheen to it.

I may not be a pro on woman's vintage, but my fiancé has thought me EVERYTHING and then some about men's! He's got quite a few of those suits :)

5. Vixen

Vixen Registered Guest

"Check this inside pocket, and sort of flip it open, see if there's any hand writting etc. Usually really old & well made or custom made suits will have the tailor's writing in it, and maybe even the year."

By inside pocket I mean the one located in the lining, not the little pocket inside the front pockets.

6. Gilo49

Gilo49 Alumni

Thanks for all the help. The suit is old store stock (country general store to be more exact) and I'm pretty certain it's from the 60's because the store stopped carrying clothing in 1966.<P>In Quebec at least, small town general stores often had some strange/trendy product lines to appeal to the younger generation (especially in the 60's) and it's often the stuff that they were unable to sell at all. Sort of a last attempt for store owners to attract the younger clientele that were flocking to the cities to purchase their fashionable clothing.<P>There's no interior label but there is a small additional pocket inside the front right side pocket and the sleeves are lined. The four button front, square boxy cut, fairly small lapels are right in with the mod Edwardian revival trend. So I will advertise as mod.<P>The fabric....If not shark-skin...what can this stuff be?? Under certain lights and when the fabric moves it becomes metallic teal blue. So when you look at it it's never 'just green' it's more like many different shades of green all the way to bright blue. This of course wouldn't show up in my pictures. Joanne

7. Looks like you guys have the age issues covered!

As far as RAB goes, absolutely!! Not on RAB/VLV but any musician would love it! It's a great stage jacket.

I think it's great!!

~M

8. Waving from Western Canada!!

Super jacket...love the color combo!!

Have you been watching The Apprentice. This jacket looks exactly what the Bren (lawyer) guy would wear, bowtie and all!!

Bonnie

9. Gilo49

Gilo49 Alumni

Thanks Bonnie! The :snowman: lives! You're absolutely right about Bren!! I was thinking that when I dressed the jacket up with the bow tie.<P>Completely off the subject: I just added a picture thingy (avatar) under my name for this board and when I finally reduced it to the right size it came out all blurry and yucky...what did I do wrong?? Joanne

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I don't know...did you reduce it too small and then enlarge it a little? I have found on an occassion that if you shrink it and then increase it afterwards, verse htting "undo" and starting over, the resolution might not be as good because you are enlarging something smaller.

(boy, that sounded confusing!)

other than that, I really don't know!

Chris

11. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

A big Hi Joanne! (from Ontario)

I don't have a clue on the date, although to me the collar looks older rather than newer. I think it is a pretty cool jacket though!

Sue:snowman:

12. Vixen

Vixen Registered Guest

Hi there,

I had my fiancé check it out and he is 99.99% sure it is from the 20s or 30s!!!! He says it's GREAT!!! He said that based on the lapels, the embroiderred inside & the four buttons, it's def from that time. He also said to check the pants, and if they're high waisted then he can guarantee it's from that time period!

Good luck!
    DDL