1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Susan Lynn Cape Date

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by rfc100, Dec 19, 2004.

1. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

I'm trying to date this Susan Lynn, Item House Inc., cape. I asumed it was from the 1950s, but the Garment Union is throwing me off. Is there a place where these are listed? It would really help! There's one on here, but that is only useful to determine if an item is post 1955.

Thanks!

Rachel

2. I don't know, Rachel. That is looking kind of 40ish to me. Just looked at the most recent issue of Lucky and those Cadet, Mandarin type collars are IN right now.

I am sure someone will come along soon who will give you an absolute date.

3. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Thank you for the reply, Linda. I'm having a hard time parting with this one, so I want to make sure I date it correctly. If I don't get the price I want, I'm keeping it.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Capes with assymetrical buttons like that in a heavy wool with slit pockets in camel coloured wool c. 1970ish to me. It could also be further into the 70s but I don't think before. Capes are pretty rare after the 20s. You get little shoulder capes or long velvet evening cloak capes in the 30s and early 40s, but they aren't common in the late40s-50s.

5. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

The Garment Worker's tag doesn't mention the merger in 1955 (CIO), so I doubt it's 70s. It looks like one of the older tags from the 30s-early 50s, but there isn't a definitive resource on Union tags anywhere, which is very surprising and I feel is much needed.