1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailor made wool woman's suit, is this 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Gorgeous suit, Ruth! Believe it or not - I tried a very, very similar suit on in a vintage shop in Wellington during my New Zealand trip. Something like two or two and a half weeks ago... Sadly, it was just a bit too big, and the skirt didn't look good on me, as well as there was some damage to it. But the skirt was absolutely the same shape (no boning though), and the same kind of opening with the snaps. The jacket was about the same shape too. How fascinating!

I admit, the skirt's closure threw me a bit, but my initial though had been "40s" (they had lots of 40s stuff at that shop). Now I have learned something too :lol:!

Karin

2. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

The reason this is tricky to date is that it is a traditional English Harris Tweed ladies suit which saw very slight changes in style from the late 1930's through to the 1950's in Britain. It is a very conservative look which isn't about keeping "up with the latest fashion." Suits were copied, tailoring features with sprats heads or crows feet and stiffening bones or stays in the waistband were not uncommon. The fact that the skirt doesn't have a zip might indicate that zips were hard to come by perhaps indicating austerity years and post WW2 but having poppers as closures are not unusual for a later suit. If there were hooks and eyes only as fasteners I might be inclined to think this is an earlier suit but this could be from the 1950's.

The buttons could have come off an earlier original suit.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Thank you vertugarde, I do see your point about it being a classic rather than high-fashion style that would have run through a decade or two. To me the older buttons, and the amount of material in the skirt, do seem to make it more likely that it's earlier rather than later, and pre-WWII, however I think I will mention that it could be a later version of a classic style. (when I get around to listing it! I haven't got my etsy shop off the ground yet, and I don't think I want to put this on ebay, though I may have a go)

I don't think this would be called tweed though - it's finer, a tighter weave, and the cloth smoother to touch, than the rougher finish and slightly looser weave that I associate with tweed. Though if wrong in my understanding of what tweed is, i'd be glad to hear if anyone thinks differently.

Ruth

4. Vertugarde is right: your suit is made of tweed. Herringbone tweed, a nice fine one. You're probably thinking of men's tweed jackets: a finer weave was often used for ladies suits as the bulkiness is unflattering.

Nicole

5. Retro Ruth

Many thanks Nicole, that's good to know. And thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's an education! R

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

When you list it, let me know. I don't have a good example of a tailored suit from this period and would be interested, although I would prefer one with a label to prove origin, if you can find it! lol

7. Retro Ruth

Thanks Jonathan, I will do so.

8. Retro Ruth

I've put this on ebay as a Buy-It-Now / Best Offer, to see what happens. Item number 200555962543.

I would of course be delighted if it went to you and your museum Jonathan!

Ruth