1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapestry or ?? 1960's Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kittenteethvintage, Feb 6, 2021.

1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

I'm not really sure what you would call the fabric on this 60's coat... Tapestry is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment, but that just doesn't seem right. There is no materials tag inside. Thoughts?

upload_2021-2-6_16-20-19.png

upload_2021-2-6_16-19-46.png

upload_2021-2-6_16-21-8.png

Vintagiality likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a type of Jacquard weave to me -possible a brocatelle. Are the raised leaves "puffy?" Is there any place you can see the reverse side (without taking it apart?)

Nice coat!

4. kittenteethvintage

The leaves are a little 'puffy', not due to any interior padding though. The fabric is relatively thin, mostly why I didn't think the 'tapestry' descriptor really worked. See below for closer pic of exterior, then the interior- which appears to be a reverse of the front (although the yellow is not so knubby on the interior).

upload_2021-2-6_17-2-41.png

upload_2021-2-6_17-3-34.png

5. Linn

It looks like a damask to me. Thanks for the view of the reverse. Damask is also a Jacquard weave.

6. kittenteethvintage

Ahhhhhhh- Damask! That was the word I was looking for and I just couldn't think of it, lol. Thanks Linn!

7. Linn

You're welcome! Glad I could help.