1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pam Simmons

Pam Simmons Registered Guest

Could anyone tell me more about this Tarquin Ebker dress? It is very heavy woven material that feels like an extremely heavy cotton. The skirt hangs from an acetate slip bodice. Over this bodice, is the top of the dress which buttons up the back and also buttons on the side to the skirt. The pockets and back seams are very interesting with fine tailoring.
    I can not find this label within the Guild's label directory although Tarquin Ebker is listed online as a NY designer who worked for several decades before his death in 1980. I can find only a few of his designs online --none of them remotely resemble this dress. I can not find any other Tarquin Ebker labels which look like this one.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Pam Simmons

I'll try to repost these pictures. I can't seem to get the website to accept any photos from Facebook or from my computer files. Is there a trick to this? I paste in the FB URLs for the photos and the website refuses to accept them. Please help!

I can't get anything to upload! I am following all the instructions. Suggestions from anyone are appreciated!

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Pam -

If your photo is hosted click on the little icon that looks like a tree- 4th from the right and put in the link; then click insert. If you want to add a photo from your computer, click on Upload a File, below. Then chose thumbnail or full image and click insert. The photo should not be larger than 500-550 pixels across. Please click on this link for a complete explanation of how to do it:

http://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/how-to-post-a-photo.42320/

Linn

4. Pam Simmons

Hi Linn!
    I am pasting my FB URL thru the icon that looks like a tree, but it will not accept the link. I've tried and tried.

I am now pasting the link to my FB page directly below in this message. This is just to my general FB page. Below that I am pasting a link to a single photo on my FB page. Perhaps you could help me?

5. Have you tried loading the files directly from your computer? You will get a better response if you can post photos, rather than asking us to follow a FB link.

Also, your FB link goes to your shop's page on FB: a breach of VFG rules. Best to post photos if you can.

6. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Depending on browser...you need to right click on a photo and view image info. Then copy the url shown on the info page as Location.

For instance the Location URL for this first image is
    Code:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/603414_374392685959416_1068251022_n.jpg
    That is what you copy & paste into the tree icon. Then click insert.
    Browsers will differ in how you can view image info. This example is for Firefox, but they all have a way to view image info/location

A shortcut in Firefox is to right click, then click Copy Image Location,
    go to tree icon and paste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cute outfit!

Could the fabric be wool? If you show a close up it will help. It looks early '60s or maybe late '50s: do you have any photos of the label please? Also: are there any diamond inserts under the arms. Thank you for persisting with the photos.

8. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

Completely agree with Nicole. Late 50s early 60s. Has that Jackie O feel, so cute! In fact it reminds me of something Audrey Hepburn would have worn in Charade. And that film was from 1963.

9. joules

joules VFG Member

Pam, I need to become more familiar with Tarquin Ebker, that's for sure.
    The high level of quality in the tailoring, those curved seams (!) and the luscious tomato red color, make this
    a standout. From my quick browse around, I get the idea that he employed curving shapes, and the color red, as style signatures.

10. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i've never heard of him before, but my god, i LOVE this! my hands are positively itching to go over the construction, lol.

11. Pam Simmons

It is an amazing dress with tremendous workmanship. I just can't find any info on the designer! The only other item from this designer I've found online is a simple peach dress from the 80s which is nothing like this amazing dress.

Yes, it is most likely wool. Extremely heavy. A substantial dress to wear --I have to use a heavy wood hangar. The nubby texture is similar to that of a Chester Weinberg jacket I have listed in my Etsy store. The Weinberg jacket is probably a textured cotton, but this is definitely more like wool. Much heavier and the fabric strands are thicker.

The dress has no gussets under the arms.
    Yes, this designer seems fond of curves--many rounded edges.

I will post the label ASAP and more pictures. Perhaps someone could add it to the registry?

BTW---I just got a new Mac -- I haven't figured out the photo program. I also just got a new camera so I am in photo hell.
    I may have to break down and read the manuals.

12. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

The earliest I can find his work is 1958 and did find some of his dresses throughout the 60s, although none like that one. He was also it seems prominent in the 70s and 80s. That said, I find it sad that his obit was just one line.

13. Linn

The dress is fabulous!! It looks very "Jackie" - late 1950's very early 1960's to me.

There is not a lot of information about Tarkin Ebker. I subscribe to the New York Times online and have access to their archives, and discovered that Tarkin Ebker, died in 2008. He was a disciple of Charles James. In 1959, his studio was on E. 39th St., the second year after he had left 7th Avenue. He left his own house to design for Hattie Carnegie in 1962; he designed for Samuel Robert in 1965, and was designing under his own label working in the basement of the building he lived in in the mid-1970's. There are a few photographs and drawings of his work online but some of the links are broken so only the headline and the first few words are available. He is not mentioned in New York Design.

Pam, please post the label when you figure out your new camera. It's very easy to post photos from your computer if you click on "upload a file."

Thank you for sharing this great dress!

Linn

14. Michele Woodford

Michele Woodford Registered Guest

Hi Pam and all,

I just joined and was excited to come across this thread. I have been trying to research Tarquin Ebker and there isn't a lot out there....Because, tah dah! My sister and I were lucky enough to come across boxes of his unfinished samples from relatives of one of his sample sewers. (They were cleaning out the house and almost threw them away!) We divided everything up, there are beautiful European silks and half finished dresses and evening gowns.

15. Linn

Michele,

Welcome to the VFG Forum, and please post photos of your incredible "haul."

Linn

16. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Pam, terrific dress! I agree with everyone's dating--late 50s to early 60s, but were it not for the sleeve construction as seen from the back, I'd have said definitely 60s. So it looks to me as if this designer was probably pretty "fashion forward."

Would love to see more of this designer and hope Michele does post photos of what sounds like a most exciting find!

17. Villa

Villa Registered Guest

Ooh eee! I love it! Your manaquin had the perfect additude and pose for it too.

18. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oh - Interesting thread - and Michele, that's quite exciting. Linn gave some great info. Elsewhere it notes that he was "notable for his architectural tailoring". In a 1963 article it's talking about American designers. "Some, like Tarquin Ebker and Eric Lund, open their own firms, live hand to mouth from one collection to another."

19. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Fabulous Find!:wub: I think I need to go shopping.....

20. Tae Young Lee

Tae Young Lee Registered Guest

Hi everyone Tarquin Ebker was my grandfather although not by blood. He married my grandmother Chong Wan Cho who is still living in NYC. I never met my blood grandfather because he disappeared during the Korean war and have known Tarquin as my grandpa ever since I was born. If any of you have questions about him I'd be happy to tell you what I know. A little interesting fact that you all might like is that he was an amazing cook as well. He would spend entire days preparing meals and always insisted on making everything from scratch. It's one of the things I miss the most about him.