1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That Thrift Store Smell

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by lkranieri, Aug 14, 2018.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I don't remember if someone posted THIS ARTICLE to one of our forums before, but it popped up in my emails a couple of days ago and I found it fascinating. I hope non-subscribers can see it.

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

That "thrift shop" smell is exactly why I work so hard to keep my shop smelling good. I clean EVERYTHING except new old stock items. If they still smell after a cleaning I then place them in my ozone box. If that doesn't work they don't go in my shop, period. I have a super sensitive nose that does not like that vintage smell in any way, shape or form!

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Interesting article Lynne. Cat - I can't imagine running a brick and mortar vintage shop. What a HUGE amount of work.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

damnit - I already used up all my NY Times articles for this month...

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Jonathan - I cut and pasted it into an e-mail that I just sent to you. Hope that works.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

YEAH!

8. My shop Never smelled either since I too cleaned or aired all my clothing and accessories.

I associate that smell with newer unwashed polyester fabrics. All natural fabrics dont retain the odor.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Polyester is the evil fabric - doesn't matter how many times you wash it, it holds the smell...

northstarvintage likes this.