1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Afterlife of Movie Wardrobes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Metro Retro Vintage, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I thought this was an interesting article (cut and paste the link below onto a new browser window).

wardrobes.jpg

The Afterlife of Movie Wardrobes ...
    Code:
    https://www.racked.com/2018/3/16/17072356/movie-and-tv-wardrobes-after

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Thank you for posting this interesting informative article. I used to sell occasionally to the Western Costume Company.
    Marian

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Great article, thanks for sharing!

6. trufaux

trufaux VFG Member

Thanks SO much for sharing! What a great piece!

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

A good read, thanks! My best memory of Western Costume was when there was an actor's strike and pretty much no one was working on filming anything. Nada. Crickets. Some of my friends who were costumers or in the wardrobe departments here in LA were starving as a result of no TV or film production going on. The strike was a long one. So to pay the rent and car payments, they had a HUGE yard sale (if I recall it was held in the Western Costume parking lot) and all the costume and wardrobe people sold off tons and tons of stuff....clothing, sets, and lots of interesting things. I was broke myself, and could not spend much, but got some cool stuff.

While the article is emphasizing current wardrobe in current filming, I though they might mention that the big studios sold off most of the real costume treasures back in the 1970s and thereabout. MGM was one of the worst, to pay for the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas and other things, they sold off almost everything...going back to silent film era, 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s....all scattered to the winds. So sad. I wonder about the Adrians!! And lets not even talk about the fairly recent demolition of the Debbie Reynolds collections....that makes me want to cry when I think about it.

But I digress.......

8. Thanks, Laura! Will share, as well.

My own plea to Western Costume to sell me the dress I'd worn while filming a movie (yet to come out and probably never will), went unanswered. I was so sad to return it to the wardrobe department, stinking and filthy after 4 days of dancing in the red Georgia clay dust in 100+ degree heat. It was an original, early 1900s summer two-piece dress. Nothing special. Typical tiny black on white pattern. That shoot was only the second I ever did. Of course I showed up with my own underthings (chemise, corset, corset cover, petticoats) and got dressed without help. LOL. The wardrobe folks liked that. Still, they wouldn't let me keep the dress. Darn.