1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The age and story about this wonderful black wool coat from Sweden?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ineke Veenstra, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ineke Veenstra

Ineke Veenstra Registered Guest

[second post, because the photos in the original post turned out very big]

Hello Everyone,

Today I came across this website as I was searching on Google to find some info about a vintage jacket I bought the other day. In this forum I saw how users post pictures and ask other users if they can give them more info about the items. I think this is a wonderfull idea and like to know more about some items I bought lately. I like to find out something about how old the items are and maybe some info about the brands, as most of them I couldn't find in the Label list.
    *Black coat from Sweden
    This coat was the very first vintage item I have ever bought. Also my first purchase on Etsy.
    Description on Etsy:
    This beautiful wool coat belonged to a lady in Sweden who was born in the late 1800-century. She wore this coat on Sundays, when she wanted to look her very best. When worn, it looks almost like you are wearing a suit with a blazer and a skirt because of the peplum waist. The fabric is rich black wool and the coat is fully lined.
    Information about the coat:
    - The seller thought this coat is from the 1940's, as the lady in the story wore it in the 1940's. But she said the coat could be much older...
    - The fabric of the coat is rich black wool.
    - The coat has a decorationline
    Want to know:
    I've searched the internet but couldn't find anything of the brand that is on the label. I know nothing about this coat, except the story the seller told me. I hope someone can give me more info on the brand (label says 'Sydd Av Söderbergs Upsala'), or tell me how old this coat is.

il_570xN_387425508_7j9t.jpg 20130626_212820.jpg il_570xN_387424819_gxs8.jpg il_570xN_387424817_lml7.jpg il_570xN_387425506_jhpz.jpg

I really hope someone can help me.

Greetings from The Netherlands!

Ineke

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's a wonderful coat. Is that you in the pictures? It looks great on you.

I did find a number of Swedish military coats made by Soderbergs Upsala, such as here. http://www.militariarg.com/swedish-militaria.html

and one here that has the same label as yours, but I don't know how old it is

Code:
    http://www.shopmaeven.com/products/swedish-navy-cadet-coat
    Yours doesn't look like military issue though.

In case you don't realise, Sydd Av translates as "Stitched by" and Upsala is a place name.

3. Ineke Veenstra

Ineke Veenstra Registered Guest

Thank you Ruth!
    I wish it was me in the pictures..! The wonderful lady in the pictures is the seller, from whom I bought this pretty coat.
    So military and navy clothes that have the same label, hmm.. Maybe my coat has something to do with the military or navy. Interesting!
    Haha yes I now realize that I should have tried to translate it first... ;) But thanks for the info ;)

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Absolutely! And the yummy braid trim heightens the illusion.

I have a coat with a similar fit-and-flare silhouette, also late 40s, that has an attached capelet and lots of braid decoration. I can see why you love this one!

Have you checked out the "Fashion Timeline" feature on our home page? Great info, and great eye candy too!

Here's the entry on 1940-1950:
    http://vintagefashionguild.org/fashion-timeline/1940-to-1950/