1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dayton Company Lot!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Erin Wells, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Erin Wells

Erin Wells Registered Guest

I am so happy for this thread, as I don't have many people in my life than can appreciate how fun finding vintage treasures is!

In one thrift shop, I found 4 1950s Blazers, with original store tags from The Dayton Company in Minneapolis. In one of the pockets, was the sales receipt of two of the jackets from 1952! Mrs. J. J. Grant at the Lowry Hotel.

Needless to say, I was so excited to find new old stock! Especially, from a defunct department store with a big reputation.

One week later, I took a trip back to the same store and found 3 pair of shoes, and 3 slips with the same Daytons label, and one very stained but new cashmere sweater from The Dayton Oval Room!

Who was this woman and why did she have all this stock so many years later! One thing I know, she had tiny 6 1/2 AA feet!!

Thank you VFG for letting me share!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Erin Wells

Thank you for your response! I forgot to include the photos of the sales receipt ! Just added!

3. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

I loved hearing about Daytons! I worked there at their main store in downtown Minneapolis as a travel agent from 1980-1983. I loved it and remember the great sales they had which were made even better with my 20% employee discount. It was an exciting time in my life. I'm sad they closed it

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a great find! Always such a pleasure to find unused old stock!

5. Erin Wells

WOW!! Thank you for sharing! That is so exciting! I am also so happy to hear that it was a good experience! Had you been to the Oval Room?

6. Erin Wells

Thank you, Mary Jane! I agree!! A while back, I found a 1940s suit from Kern's in Detroit and that started my new love of department store finds! Its so exciting!

7. Erin Wells

Yes! I was thinking the same! Also, all of the items I found seemed to be higher priced items and brands. Also, it looks like her address was the Lowry Hotel, which I believe was an upscale Apartment Hotel! No Old Navy for Mrs. J. J . Grant!

Interestingly enough, Dayton's was Target, before it was Target!