1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Fabulous Golden Slipper" 1960s varsity jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi, this is the first of a couple of items which I was hoping you'd be able to help me with.

It's a 60s black corduroy varsity jacket embroidered with the words "The Fabulous Golden Slipper" on the back and well, a gold slipper on the front :)
    The previous owner had bought it in New York and from her and my own research I believe it to have perhaps been worn by an employee at a restaurant/club by the same name, in Long Island .
    I was hoping perhaps some of the US members might have some additional knowledge/information about this establishment, or might perhaps have seen something similar before?

Kind regards, Lily

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a Golden Slipper Long Island restaurant, too, but I also found the "Fabulous Golden Slipper" go-go lounge in Bristol PA. The trademark high-heel slipper on your jacket and the fact that it is a men's-style, varsity-type jacket leads me to think it refers to the go-go lounge...

IMG_5449.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  3. Lily K.Chadwick

Thanks ever so much for your help, that does indeed seem to make more sense!

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Let me know when you list it. I recall someone looking for one, I think. Would love to hook you two up if possible.

5. Lily K.Chadwick

bycinbyhand - Thanks ever so much for your reply. I think I'll be keeping it for the moment, but will be sure to let you know if/when I let it go! Also, out of curiosity, were they looking for a jacket from this particular place?

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yes. They were looking for a jacket from this particular place.

7. Lily K.Chadwick

bycinbyhand - I'm so sorry for the late response! Its such a coincidence that they were looking for one from here. Though I'm not yet ready to sell, if/when I do, I promise to get in contact and give first refusal!

8. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Registered Guest

I use to work as security (a bouncer) at the Fabulous Golden Slipper 1987-1988. Most of the staff had a jacket like that. What size is that one?

9. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Registered Guest

It probably not a 60's item more like 80's.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

@Tommy Smith welcome to the Vintage fashion Guild forums!

Unfortunately, this thread is more than 5 years old. It looks like @Lily K. Chadwick drops in occasionally, but hasn't posted here since Oct 2020.

11. Lisa Cefaloni

Lisa Cefaloni Registered Guest

I do believe I may be the owner of that jacket. I worked at The Golden Slipper in Bristol PA in 1987 & 1988. There could have been a name embroidered on the upper side "Valentina. My Dad passed some years back and we donated lots of clothes. That jacket may have been one of the items