1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thought on this weird silk jumpsuit?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, Jan 13, 2019.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

is it a costume maybe?

the zipper is nylon, seems to be hand made.

giant ballooning sleeves in a Victorian style with the tapered long cuffs (they snap) IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1091.JPG IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1090.JPG

acceber likes this.
  2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Could be costume, ime costumes usually look fantastic on the outside, especially from a distance but lack the finer finishing details, often internally the finishing is particularly lacking in finesse as it's just for show, pardon the pun. I'm wondering about the style of it with the pant legs, could this be for ease of manoeuvring during a performance maybe. The nylon zipper could be a replacement so it's not always a sure sign of specific age.

The experts shall surely chime in and be more helpful.

maltby likes this.
  3. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

heres some pics of it on the mannequin, which helps I think to see it better

IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1224.JPG

4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

It's absolutely fab!

maltby likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Well that surely is unique! It is so odd, with the top seemingly inspired by a circa 1905 dress bodice and the bottom being pants. I wonder if this may have had some sort of over skirt, perhaps something sheer? I also wonder if it was not for costume use. Really is an odd one, but lovely none the less.

maltby likes this.
  6. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

thanks guys! yeah, I am really struggling with this one. It doesn't fit me or I'd probably give up selling it and try to wear it :)

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

My guess would be a home made early 1970s bridesmaid's outfit... Picture it with a shag haircut and granny boots!

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I love it. That keyhole look was so popular in the early-mid70s LOVE this!

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member