1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought you might like to see this rare Claire McCardell jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Coutureallure, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

This Claire McCardell jacket was featured on the cover of Harper's Bazaar in May of 1954. I just listed it for sale on my website and thought you might like to see it in detail. It's actually on the model backwards in the cover shot, probably a brainstorm of Diana Vreeland. Here's the listing with lots more pictures!

31014 030.jpg

2. joules

joules VFG Member

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Oh Jody, that is amazing!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It would be interesting to get just to show how DV 'played' with clothes for photo shoots...

6. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I know! I wonder how many ways they tried this on the model before Vreeland said "wear it backwards!" And of course, it's completely open in the back in the cover shot.

7. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

8. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

:jawdrop:

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I must admit, I like it better backwards! Super find, Jody! and so nice that you have that issue of Harper's as well!

10. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wonderful find, especially paired with the cover photo! :clapping:

And too funny about it being worn backwards by the model. Were you puzzled at first, by the photo or the actual garment, because they didn't quite match?

11. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Not really Carrie. It's such a striking image and this issue of Bazaar is a good one, so I've looked at it often in the past. It was when I laid it flat that I was surprised. The shapes of the pieces used to make the jacket are super cool. And the fact that McCardell juxtaposed the very angular geometric shape with polka dots delights me!

12. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

Polka Dots!

13. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

:wow22:

14. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Wonderful !:wub:

15. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

What a fabulous find, Jody!

16. Fascinating Find! Thanks for sharing!

17. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Super cool find! Wow!

18. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

That is such an extraordinary piece! Every time I see that cover shot I think it looks so much more like Bonnie Cashin's work than Claire McCardell's. She amazes me!

You amaze me too Jody...GREAT find!

Coutureallure likes this.