Time frame question about a Laura Ashley corduroy jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lauren Furey, Jul 21, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Lauren Furey

Lauren Furey Registered Guest

I've had this navy blue corduroy Laura Ashley jacket for about thirty years but I think it's older than that. I bought it second hand then. I would love to know the time period it was actually made but I can't find anything similar on any site anywhere!

Attached Files:

Shusteroo likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Shusteroo likes this.
  3. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I think it’s earlier than that. Made in Carno Wales I believe denotes late 70s, (or possibly early 80s?) - as per the late 70s Carno label in the label resource, which appears to be an exact match for the size and fabric label here, although the button is covering up the logo part.

To me the style fits with that period too.

Is there a care label anywhere? On the back of the size/fabric label perhaps? If so that might help confirm.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I thought maybe so too but the label sure looks early 90s.

Shusteroo likes this.
  5. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

I agree, my first thoughts are the label looks newer than 70s too, and also think it may be 90s or late 80s.

The Carno factory opened in the 60s, but didn't close until early 2005 - from looking at the labels in the resource, the majority of the the earlier 70s labels just say 'Made in Wales', rather than Carno. Also, the sizing just looks more modern to me, and from the 80s onwards the oval has two circles around it.

I've always thought that 90s dresses don't have where they are made on the same label as the logo - whereas the 80s and earlier dresses have 'Made in X' just below the oval/logo. They're just my observations though. As Ruth says, care labels/symbols may help further.

6. retro ruth

We discussed Made In Carno in another thread and reckoned it probably was phased out during the 80s and wasn’t common even in the early 80s. They opened a second factory 1984 and so Carno was no longer their only manufacturing place. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a Made In Carno from the 90s.

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/laura-ashley-made-in-carno-wales-label.76917/

Shusteroo likes this.
  7. retro ruth

We have an exact match for the sizing label on a late 70s label in label resource.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am not hijacking this thread (well I guess I am...) but since we have some Ashleyites here - do you know when they manufactured in Canada? I am guessing from what I have seen is c. 1977 - 1993ish..

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

retro ruth likes this.
  10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I don't know if LA was manufacturing in 1973, or was importing items from LA in Wales or England, but it seems the were at least selling in Canada by 1973...

LauraAshleyInCanada.jpg

LauraAshleyInCanada1973.jpg

LauraAshleyFirstShopInCanada1974.jpg

11. retro ruth

great info. that second article implies they were making in Canada in 1973

12. retro ruth

Back to the OP. Labels aside, the pleated shoulder line on the jacket really strikes me as late 70s or early 80s. Does anyone agree or disagree with me on that?

This appears to be an identical jacket in case it's helpful to see more views and on a mannequin. FWIW the seller dated to early 80s. I could see it as part of a suit with a full skirt.

Code:
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1371956075/vintage-laura-ashley-corduroy-puff
    [​IMG]

And the same jacket again in Forest Green

Code:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B79Eyx6gWto/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Lauren Furey and Jonathan like this.
  13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Oops...I'd say so: "The Laura Ashley collection is now being made in Canada." I glossed right over that. Sorry.

14. retro ruth

It’s great information you found!

15. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

On the basis of the style (I have no knowledge of the label) I would’ve said it’s early to mid 1980s.

retro ruth likes this.
  16. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Fantastic to find out it was being made here in Canada as early as 1973! Thanks Lynn
    As for the jacket - I am thinking more 70s than 80s. The bishop sleeve is popular early-middly 70s - I know LA wasn't high fashion - it was an alternative style, but it looks very different from what I know I have seen from the early 80s LA, which tends to be more Regency or 20s in inspiration. This jacket has that 70s corduroy Edwardian look - Ralph Lauren was even doing some of that in the late 70s... My gut is saying 1977ish...

Lauren Furey and retro ruth like this.
  17. Lauren Furey

Thank you EVERYONE! What an amazing amount of information! Yes, it's identical to the jacket pictured.

18. Lauren Furey

I had it for years but was then having babies and nursing (four kids one after the other!). I gave it to one of my daughter's and she wore it a couple times but it was actually too big for her. So she returned it to me. It's been living in my closet as now I'm too big for it LOL.

19. Lauren Furey

This is the backside of the label. There are no additional labels in the jacket (side seam etc).

Attached Files:

20. retro ruth

Thanks for posting that. The presence of the P indicates it's probably no earlier than mid-late 70s (post 1976).

I still think it's 70s or possibly early 1980s.

Thanks for sparking such an interesting discussion!

I really love this jacket - those sleeves !