1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

title and display help required for prom dress!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

here's a fun one - yes, it really is all different colours like that in a nylon voile i think?

behind the festoons is a layer of net - i assume to help stiffen it a little as the voile is very soft and drapey- which is actually sewn in to the back of the festoons. the bottom layer is just a type of rayon acetate (again, i think!) but there is no inbuilt crinoline underneath as you might expect.

anyway, i don't think it was meant to be too full a skirt as the acetate lining is basically more swingy a line than circle. it would however take a full length crinoline, which would then change the shape slightly and make even more wedding cakey.

[​IMG]

so my question is how would you display it?
    in the above photo i have a seperate crinoline on it that happened to be on the dummy anyway, which comes about halfway down the skirt so makes it stick out just a little (but the skirt is pretty heavy).

do you think it is meant to hang flatter so not use a seperate net? or should i make it stick out as far as i can and go for a full on floor length crinoline?

oh yes; back metal zipper, no labels, very definitely home tailored as a little scruffy on the finish inside but still mighty impressive in a mad bo peep meets psychedelia meets bustle skirts (working title not really helping me!) kind of way.. 1950's/early 60's?

help me i've been listing for hours and am getting a little frazzled
    :wacko:

thank you !!!

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

What color is the dress, is it white? I assume it is. The affect on my monitor has some underlying pinks and blues that i was wondering if the fabric had a irridescent or reflective quality.

If it were me, I would show it the way you have it, and then maybe alternate with a pufier picture just so someone could see both options, but wouldn't be tied to the full crinoline look

Chris

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

you're right chris sorry i should have mentioned that too! it has a very pale lilac lining, but the colours of the voile used for the festoons is indeed graduated shades of pale pinky lilacs and blues. i think the lining is slightly reflective as it is pretty shiny.

here's a pic without the airbrushing, totally unedited. it gets pinker towards the bottom but obviously you can't see that in this one;

[​IMG]

is it nice, or too o.t.t. ? i can't decide!:puzzled:

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I love that color effect. You might want to take a close up on part of it against a white background...even just holding up the fabric so folks can tell that it is not all white.

I think that others may have opinions as well...hop[efully they will chime in