1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translation Help - List of languages with human help available.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

From time to time, some of us run into labels, jewelry inscriptions, manufacturer or reference websites, and messages from potential customers that are not 100% in english.

Many times, the free translation sites either don't offer the language, but often it ends up unintelligible due to differing syntax, sentence structure, and idioms...one just needs a "human" sometimes...imagine that!

Please post to this thread any language other than English that can be translated by someone in your home, that way, when someone has a question, they know that it is okay to post it to this board because it is likely that someone would potentially be available to help them out.

Also, if you are needing help, please be courteous and refrain from posting things you need an answer on "an hour before posting" just to give folks time to help if they are ready, willing, and able ...

I will kick it off.....

My husband can translate
    Italian and Albanian
    Italian, very well - Albanian enough to get by.
    His aunt is fluent in Albanian, so she can always be contacted in a reasonable amount of time if he's stumped.

Mandarin Chinese
    My cousin has a master's in mandarin chinese.
    She can't always be reached on a moments notice, but i would be happy to present things to her if need be.

Spanish
    My spanish is just okay.... i probably could get the gist and write a little. but other people are way better.

oh....and i can read, write and understand CANADIAN as well : ) hee hee. all that children's programming from canada we got in DTW as a kid : )

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Good thread Chris...this WILL definitely help out

3. English..sometimes.:P

4. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Excellent thread, Chris - sometimes those babelfish translations just don't cut it! They remind me of the Chinese menus that used to find stuffed in to my mailbox in New York - the descriptions of the specials made us laugh so hard we'd cry.

Sincerely wish I had more to offer, but:

- English/Spanish Spanish/English - OK, but you can do better :)

-English/English - Excellent - and that's not as not valuable as it may seem!

;)

Carolyn

5. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

This former Quebecer can speak and read French OK (not perfectly bilingual) but am terrible at writing it.
    I can swear in Croatian and speak fluent Leicester-ease "Aye up me duck, it's a bit black uva Bill's mothas". :D

Lei

6. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

I can translate Norwegian, Swedish and Danish if needed.
    Louise

7. timber

timber Registered Guest

After a lifetime of pig collecting I believe I have mastered the fine art of translating Pig Latin. ;)

8. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

wow THis is great

LOL @ TImber

I can speak a couple words of Italian that my sweet grandmother taught me of course those are the nice ones. Then the other not so nice <u>one</u> was taught to me by my ex husbands family

9. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Pig Latin

i had a classmate whose family spoke it at home. unusual, huh?

They remind me of the Chinese menus

T-shirt spotted on a hostess at an asian (serves both chinese/japanese) restaurant 'round here:

(in multi pastels):
    Smile,
    Pretty Girl,
    Mini Piano