1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trench coat (Burberry) "reproof"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ascanio, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Ascanio

Ascanio Registered Guest

Hi friends

I am been searching for hours online for official or non-official procedures to reproof (re-water-proof....) trench coats, Burberry specifically. Cleaning instructions on such garments specify that it may be required to reproof after cleaning (on Aquascutum labels it even reads "reroof"...).

Can somebody point me to some information about the process? I did study that the original patented Gaberdine used Linalool grease but I don't think oiling a trench coat is a welcome procedure.

Also I ran across several waterproofing spry-cans, but they all seem dedicated to camping gears or sailor applications. They appear overkill to me as I could not find any comment or article encouraging an use on trench coats.

I own both cotton and poly-cotton vintage Burberry trench coats and I would consider to make them waterproof again, not just against water but also to be more protected against stains.

Still more than everything I am curious about the process as it seems to be a well kept secret.

Thank you for your insights!
    Ascanio

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

amandainvermont likes this.
  3. Ascanio

Ascanio Registered Guest

Thank you for the advise and the link. I'll also talk with some dry-cleaners in my area to understand more about the process. Probably it's just about spraying an idrophobic chemical layer on top of cloths. I'm curious about the feeling and consequences on the cloth, tough.