Trying to date antique / vintage cheongsam

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amfhb, Jun 13, 2023.

1. amfhb

amfhb Registered Guest

Hello!

I picked a up vintage silk cheongsam up at a local thrift a few weeks ago. I’m trying to accurately date this piece and just more information in general. Label looks 30’sish in my opinion but just wanted to make sure!
    Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Please show us photos of the whole garment and let us know if there is a zipper or any special features.

I did a search for the shop and the street name, and discovered that it is in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, (Formerly Saigon). So although the label is in English, your dress is Vietnamese. It may date to the Vietman War era - the 1960s or very early '70s - but could be earlier. The font looks very '50s to me. We need to know more about it to date it - although it's not easy to date traditional garments that didn't change much - but there are some clues.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

If its Vietnamese, then it's probably an Ao Dai, rather than a Cheong Sam. They developed at the same time, and look similar, but the Ao Dai is usually longer, and has a LONG slit up the side and is often worn over pants.