1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to date this dress. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AdvantageInVintage, Jul 20, 2013.

1. AdvantageInVintage

AdvantageInVintage Registered Guest

I absolutely adore this dress, but I am just getting round to parting it from my collection (far too big for me) and i now can't decide how old I think it is. I started off thinking late 40s, then I canged my mind and thought it was 50s, and then 30s because of the dipped waist and intriguing neckline (it's poppered to stay in place). So does anyone want to help me out?

It really is a stunner, has integral shoulder pads and fastens with a centre back metal zip (the zip is one of the those weird half ones that starts half way down the back seam).

I would love to know your thoughts, and if any more pics are required to help date it I will provide! IMG_7976.jpg IMG_7973.jpg IMG_7971.jpg

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It is a beauty! I don't think 30s at all, but perhaps very late 40s, early 50s with that fit and skirt. The zipper you mention is one I have only seen on 1950s dresses, but then, I haven't seen them all!

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Love the fabric - gorgeous! My thought too - not 30s at all. With that shape, it looks more like 50s, but it has some features that remind me a little of the 40s, like the dipped waist at the front and the fact that it has shoulder pads - maybe a cusper? My 1949 mail order catalog shows several spring/summer dresses with square necklines and wider skirts (though not quite as wide as yours looks).

Karin

4. ThisBlueBird

ThisBlueBird Registered Guest

I would also say late 40s/early 50s. Half side zippers were typical in the 40s. Full zippers were introduced on the back in the 50s. Having a half zip in the back suggests it was made during the transition period.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would go with late 40s/early 50s as well. The cuff on the sleeve is unusual due to the size of the cuff. The colors are gorgeous!

6. Super pretty. I'm also in the early 50's club. Lovely!

7. AdvantageInVintage

AdvantageInVintage Registered Guest

Thanks for your help everyone. It's one of those cases of I looked at it so much I started to doubt myself as to how old it was. The only reasons I thought it was earlier was due to the job lot it came in which was mostly 1930s (I still can't get over this coming in a job lot!). I should have stuck with my early instincts because when I first got it I thought '48/ '49 and then changed my mind.

Thanks for this group being super helpful yet again : )

Liz