1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undergarment Help?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Oct 5, 2018.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Can someone please give proper name for this type of undergarment?

One piece girdle and perhaps time period? I am seeing 1930s on the patent. Is it that old?

Just states foundation garment?

Thanks you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think your garment is more likely late 40s - early 50s. I have seen them called long line girdles, but a foundation garment is a more accurate name since its for the full figure. Its postwar because of nylon being identified as a material. Other than a brief period in the U.S. when nylon stockings were being made 1939-41 before the U.S. entry into the war, nylon was reserved for military use only during the early 40s, and only began to appear in fashions towards the end of 1946, but even then, it was mostly as stockings. Nylon doesn't become a big textile until after 1948.

lkranieri likes this.
  3. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2169585A/en?oq=2169585

Interesting. I did think the garment was 1950s TBH but saw this patent.

So patents could be filed and not used for years? I wonder if the war just put this way behind on production?

I so love your knowledge and expertise on vintage fashion.

Thank you. foo.