1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unusual blouse - thoughts?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Nov 20, 2019.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

I won this at an auction for a textile collector. It's silk. Hand stitched in areas (the zigzag around the hem) and a little button closure at the back of the neck. The shape almost has a Victorian vibe to me but the patterns make me think 20's folk. Almost a native tribal vibe too. Puffed shoulders. Little slits on the sides at the bottom hem. Belt has snaps in the back and a long tribal dangling design with a gold lame tassel. The shirt itself seems short to belt so I wonder if it was once part of a set? Thoughts on dating/origin? :) Thanks!

unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This is a mystery for sure. My first reaction is South American, maybe Peru and I do see it as being part of a set. I have never seen anything quite like it. What is the fabric of the belted piece? Interesting piece.

3. blubirdboutique

Thanks! I do have a Peruvian friend, I'll ask her if she can recognize any patterns. The fabric on the belt is the the same tissue silk. (I believe this is what it's called) Mother of pearl button. I'll upload a few more photos although I'm not sure it will be helpful or not? :) It really is a beautiful piece in person.

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (6).jpg unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (8).jpg

amandainvermont likes this.
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i am of no help for you, but just want to say that i think it's a really wonderful piece.

so, it was an estate sale of a textile collector?? do you know, did they work for a museum? or were they affiliated with a local university, possibly? your garment source MIGHT be able to source more information for you???? or maybe know a family member who would know something??

blubirdboutique likes this.
  5. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Based on the textile and stitches it looks early 1900s to me. It reminds me of a Scandinavian or Norway costumes with it's embroidery and fringes - is that horse or pony hair along the tassel or cloth? Here is a photo from a company that makes reproduction clothing based off original costumes in that area. It IS reproduction but they have done their research to make things look as authentic as possible. Hope this helps you!
    scandanian.jpg

6. blubirdboutique

I left a message with the auction house - maybe they can contact the textile collector if she is still here. She did have other ethnic really neat pieces like what looked to be an entire cowry shell type of shirt and another that looked to be afghani type coins. Also really old crazy quilts (and a quilted dress I missed out on!). So perhaps it's an ethnic piece. It really is a beautiful piece!

I'll update if I can manage to talk to anyone.

Thanks!

7. blubirdboutique

That's a beautiful outfit! It does have an ethnic feel to it for sure - particularly the belt I think. The tassel feels like actual metal threads? I'm not sure what it would be. Hoping to hear back from the textile collector! I'll update if I find anything out. Thanks!

8. poppysvintageclothing

The tassel looks like a 1920s tassel to me, lamé threads.

9. blubirdboutique

Thanks! That's what I thought too. The whole thing "feels" 20s to me when I look at the details like the pleating on the shoulders. The tassel too, yes. Not really sure what the deal with the print is though or the belt... It sort of reminds me of the peasant dresses from the 20's with the folk embroidery although this one is a bit different. Do the modern lame tassels feel like this too?

10. poppysvintageclothing

11. blubirdboutique

Ok. Then I'd say this is an older one. Definitely feels like metal threads. Thank you!