1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Hat and Fur muff/stole - help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Some recent finds at a community yard sale...

First up - this really fun and unusual hat, modeled dashingly by my plush leopard. Lol.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Interior is a green lace material with a label that says 'Frank Palma "Jr." Original'. I'll get a pic of the label later for the mystery labels thread. I'm guessing 1950's, anyone else have an opinion on this?

Next up, a matching set of a big poofy fur muff and small stole/collar. My first guess was that this was sable but I have a large sable coat and this is much softer and also a bit shorter in texture and length. Deep chocolate brown with white stripes/spots. The muff also has a nice cord-covered ring attached to secure the muff onto one's arm. No labels. Any ideas on fur type and date?

[​IMG]

Thanks all!

~Tiff~

2. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Well I am going to go the deep end here and suggest they date to the 1930's, I had a similar styled muff from the late 20's.....from the edging it looks like a silk lining, is it?

But dont trust what I say..I am sure someone will come along and let you know for sure.

As the far as the fur type I am not sure, but it is beautiful!

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I'd guess the hat at 60s, the muff and collar set 30s. As to fur type -???

Hollis

4. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Yes the muff does have a silk lining with a bit of the lining ruffling around the edges.

Thanks for the help so far - still, what the heck kind of critter was that?

~Tiff~

5. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

Just by the picture, my first impression of the muff/collar was dyed rabbit.

Can you take it to a 'furrier', they usually are very helpful.

Gayle

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

What about civet for the muff and collar? It looks familiar to me...