1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE!! Mostly OT - Can you help identify and date these movie stars?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Elsewhere, Jun 14, 2007.

1. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Yeah, this one is certainly for the H'wood collector. Wonder if any of those faces are extras, producers, studio guys?

My thought was that it's too bad you couldn't email Mickey Rooney! He's probably the only one still around from that picture. Cute as a button, too!

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the guy left of Rooney is none other than Louise B. Mayer -- one of the "M"s in MGM.
    And it's funny that you should suggest contacting Mickey Rooney -- I just posted this on the eBay Movie collector's forum and someone suggested that very thing. I'm about to go seek out his website and see if they can help...

THANK YOU!!

3. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I agree that's Crawford. Top row - first two guys on the left are Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Abbott is standing on something so he's taller.

4. avamac

avamac Alumni

Yes, it's Louis B. Mayer; there must be a website that lists/pictures the MGM stars of the period...

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

OH MY!!!!
    It sure is!!
    I KNEW the guy by the sign looked familiar! Seems like he never could play it straight ;)

You're good at this, Jody! ;)

6. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Lady 3rd from the right in the second row hiding under that cloche - I think that's Helen Hayes.

7. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Which one, Jody? I'm not following you, apparently...

8. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I'm rethinking the blonde in the center in the dark hat. Is it possibly a young Lana Turner?

9. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Oops! Third from the left. Sorry!

I think the unsmiling woman to the far right is Kay Francis.

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Well, my step-mom is 95 and "bright as a tack." She was also "in the theater" - so I will mail this to her ... but it will be a while for me to hear back.

11. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hmmm -- I was looking into the Lana Turner thing and I don't think it's possible. I'm betting that the photo was taken in the early 30's -- and Lana was only born in 1921. She'd have to be only 10 years old or so.

Grrrrr.

12. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hmmmm I think she does have the same nose, doesn't she? You're talking about the gal on the right of the gentlemen with his arms around two ladies?

13. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Yep. You're right about Lana Turner being too young. Hmmmm. The gal in the striped top in the center is driving me crazy. Is that Norma Shearer?

14. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

15. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Finally! I'm pretty sure the stripe shirt gal is Una Merkel. I can rest now!

16. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I've been using that page too, Jody :) It's great!

Could the woman on the VERY right be Kay Francis??

17. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Yes, I think the woman to the far right who isn't smiling is Kay Francis. See earlier post. This is alot of fun. I'm a big old movie fan.

18. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Marion Davies?

Sadly, however, I may be reaching for straws since at this point (I've been doing this for HOURS) I think she could be EITHER of the blond gals!!!

19. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Bottom row - guy to the right of Mickey Rooney is Ronald Coleman. Did you post that already???

20. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

LOL oops! I missed your earlier post, Jody! Kay Francis it is!

Here's a link to pics of Marion Davies