1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Fur Label Authority to trace source

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by postcardmomma, Mar 3, 2018.

1. postcardmomma

postcardmomma Registered Guest

Have a nice vintage fur coat, Fur Label Authority with number 876824 B on it, but despite a lot of research I can find no way to tie the number to a manufacturer or anything else. Can anyone direct me to a site where I can find out more about the coat maker, type of fur, year, etc, or type of fur from these pictures? 13.jpg 3.JPG 9.JPG 1.JPG 12.JPG

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hello,

Lovely coat. Can you please show me the back of the coat?

The fur label authority label and the number on it would not help in determining who the maker was. It was used to ascertain that fur garments were made under fair labor standards and complied with the fur products labeling act.

Fur traders sometimes created and used fictitious names which sometimes mislead consumers who thought they were buying one fur type when they were really buying another. The fur products labeling act prevented them from being able to do so.

You can read more about that in an old blog I wrote here -

http://furwise.com/the-fur-products-labeling-act-and-the-fur-label-authority/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. postcardmomma

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks for the information. Attached is a picture of the back.
    However, there is no other label in it, so I don't know who made it, they year (or even decade), or even what kind of fur it might be.

2.jpg

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there and thank you for the additional photo.

The fur is muskrat.

5. postcardmomma

So, worth very little then I assume. Thanks, mystery solved.

6. Paul Brickles

Paul Brickles Registered Guest

Hi I also have an unknown fur coat with the same label. Can someone please tell me what it is??

Attached Files:

7. tressie capozzelli

tressie capozzelli Registered Guest

I have a coat that needs identified please. Same type of label a the muskrat coat.

Attached Files:

8. Janet Dixon

Janet Dixon Registered Guest

I also have one. I was told it was mink but until I found the label today I thought it was faux.
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

9. Janet Dixon

Janet Dixon Registered Guest

I had this exact coat from my grandmother. I sent it last year to a woman that hand made 5 teddy bears (for all of us siblings) and a pillow with the rest sent back to me.

10. Kim DeRoin

Kim DeRoin Registered Guest

Can someone tell me what type of fur this is? The label says L 09664. It is beautiful and I got it at a thrift store for the best deal. I have been wanting to collect furs so this is my first piece to start my collection.

IMG_9406.jpg IMG_9405.jpg IMG_9400.jpg

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You'll have better luck of getting a reply if you post as your own post rather than tag onto this very old post. Very pretty piece!

12. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

It’s mink

13. Kim DeRoin

Kim DeRoin Registered Guest

What would this be worth once cleaned up? Estimated? With my research I found Autumn haze 1940s mink. Am I on the right track?

14. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

We can’t offer valuations here per our forum rules but you can search eBay and Etsy for mink stoles and it would give you an idea