Vanderbilt Tailored Knits?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by BijouVintage, Mar 4, 2020.

1. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Hi everyone,
    So very long time no see. I'm dipping my toes back in the water and I came across this label.

I can not find anything online. I was wondering if anyone else has come across it and if it in anyway related to miss Gloria?

Thank you in advance you beautiful people
    Beth IMG_1363.jpg IMG_1344.jpg

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Beth, how nice to see you! It looks early 70s to me.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

agree with 70s and HELLO BETH!!!!! it is SO great to see you here!!! xoxoxoxo

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

HI BETH! If you're lucky, Lynne will see this and put her investigative prowess to work. It's lovely to see you back here.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Beth!!! beatingHeart

I've got nothing re/ the label though. ironing

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

After a few days spent searching for information about your label (and after just posting here a little while ago, in which I admitted defeat), I think I found something helpful. In my prior post, which I deleted, I noted I had looked at a great many ads, articles, images, etc., but found no reference to your label. That led me to suspect it had no relationship to Gloria Vanderbilt, whose name and story draws much attention to her label. As I was about to give up, I stumbled onto the only label I saw in which the "Vanderbilt" in the label was nearly identical to yours...that is, a label with a block letter/printed/sans serif "V" and cursive "anderbilt." Here is that label, on a woman's knit item, side-by-side with your label:

VanderbiltTwoLabels.jpg

You can see that other than the word "Lady," the two Vanderbilts are very similar and are the only two Vanderbilt anything labels I saw that are written like that.

I then started searching for Lady Vanderbilt and saw it was owned by Springfoot Inc. You can see trademark info for Springfoot and Vanderbilt HERE and HERE.

Of interest is the fact that Springfoot and Gloria Vanderbilt wound up in a legal tangle over the name Vanderbilt (see HERE).

I am very comfortable now saying your nice shirt is probably a Springfoot Inc. Vanderbilt label.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    denisebrain likes this.
  7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Lynne, you are a resourceress!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

:hysterical:

Uh, noooooo, but thanks for the thought, Maggie--and great new word!

Lynne

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I have this shirt up on Etsy now:

[​IMG]

lkranieri likes this.