1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vera scarf update

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by scoutsmum, Jan 21, 2008.

1. scoutsmum

scoutsmum Registered Guest

Interesting little update: I found another Vera scarf today that said "Verasheer" by Vera, and it also had "Vinal" in the content and was one of those poly-feeling, see-through, rough-feeling scarves, AND the colors were very light. (Because of the sheerness?)

Anyway, just though it was a fun coincidence.

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

My hunch is that vinal--which apparently isn't produced or used in textiles now anywhere but North Korea-- showed up as a silk substitute outside that country in the 60s, when there were a lot of experimental synthetic fabrics being made (ie from DuPont). Don't know exactly how it got from North Korea to wherever your Vera scarves were made, but apparently North Korea's economy was actually thriving in that decade...

So (again, just a hunch...) I'm thinking that having vinal in the fabric tag helps date a non-Korean textile to the 60s...

3. scoutsmum

scoutsmum Registered Guest

Excellent little tidbit to remember!

I should be writing this down, or saving it somewhere, shouldn't I?

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Well, it's really just a theory. But it will be interesting to keep in mind for when and if you happen to run across more 60s clothing or accessories that use vinal!