VFG blog article: The Pressures of Social Media on Vintage Fashionistas

MagsRags

VFG President
Staff member
Did you know that the VFG has a blog, regularly updated with articles and videos? Some pieces share our YouTube reels with website visitors, some highlight a piece of vintage fashion history, and some offer a personal perspective on an aspect of vintage fashion, rather like an opinion piece in a news site.

When I read a good online article, I also enjoy reading the comments - I even comment myself sometimes! We have not opened our website blog to Comments - it would take volunteer time to monitor for spam, and our volunteers tend to be thinly spread. But it occurred to us that if we link to blog articles here in the forums, comments can happen here. Let's give this a try - we would love to hear your comments, and share some of ours as well!

Click HERE to read the article , written by Maggie @denisebrain - The Pressures of Social Media for Vintage Fashionistas. And then please come back to give us your thoughts.

And to sweeten the pot, a photo of Maggie/d as a teen, wearing vintage even then!
VFGblog-maggied.webp

Did you know that the VFG has a blog, regularly updated with articles and videos? Some pieces share our YouTube reels with website visitors, some highlight a piece of vintage fashion history, and some offer a personal perspective on an aspect of vintage fashion, rather like an opinion piece in a news site.

When I read a good online article, I also enjoy reading the comments - I even comment myself sometimes! We have not opened our website blog to Comments - it would take volunteer time to monitor for spam, and our volunteers tend to be thinly spread. But it occurred to us that if we link to blog articles here in the forums, comments can happen here. Let's give this a try - we would love to hear your comments, and share some of ours as well!

Click HERE to read the article , written by Maggie @denisebrain - The Pressures of Social Media for Vintage Fashionistas. And then please come back to give us your thoughts.

And to sweeten the pot, a photo of Maggie/d as a teen, wearing vintage even then!
View attachment 192612

Wow @denisebrain I think I found your dressing gown:

IMG_9066.jpg

You are welcome. I think it's a great topic for comment and discussion.

I am so fortunate in that I don't have a chronic illness to deal with. But I can still relate to much of what you wrote. My biggest barrier to wearing as much vintage at this point in my life is that favorite pieces in my closet just don't fit the way they used to.

My feet don't tolerate high heels well at all! I have done some theater performances where I felt the need to push through for the hour or two of stagework, but I felt like the Little Mermaid after she traded her fin for human legs - it hurt to stand and walk.

And "corrective" undergarments have become a necessity in most of my favorite dresses - a waist cincher and industrial underwire bra. Less painful than the shoe issue but not what I would call comfortable. The cincher does help my posture!

I hear you! I have trouble wearing anything tight because I have enthesitis, so I have taken to wearing comfortable vintage.

I recently wrote about the vintage I'm now gravitating toward:
  1. Soft knit dresses, such as rayon or cotton jersey—1940s are my favorites.
  2. 1960s A-line cotton house dresses with front zippers.
  3. Kimono-style jackets from any era, the silkier the better.
  4. Slip-on knit skirts from the 1970s. I especially love novelty print knits from that era.
  5. 1990s oversized unstructured blazers in linen or cotton (vintage men’s jackets can be great quality).
  6. Cotton wrap dresses—especially 1940s and 50s-era.
  7. Accessories, accessories, accessories.
(From Flare to Flair: How Vintage Fashion Helps Me Cope with Psoriatic Arthritis)

I had a very similar kimono in the1970s too...I think it is still hidden away here.
Vintage selling has certainly gone through so many changes. I loved having my shop back in the 1980s, it was
a wonderful time although vintage wasn't as well accepted. We had such fabulous inventory back then and it
was not hard to find treasures!

Over the years as my body shape has changed, I still wear vintage but mainly it is my hats, jackets, coats, scarves, gloves.
Dresses not so much anymore.

You need to know what suits you and what you are comfortable wearing...with those basics you can wear vintage and not
feel the need to be just like who you see online. It still is about individuality and having fun and feeling good!

I am glad to see though how much more vintage is appreciated now especially with all the horrible fast fashion that is out there.
So many more people have come to understand about the quality of older garments and how you can mix different decades and
make them work for you.

Last edited:
Back