1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victoria’s Secret Label Age

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EmRu919, Aug 5, 2022.

1. EmRu919

EmRu919 Registered Guest

Hi All! I have become a collector of vintage lingerie- and am trying to learn more about dating Victoria’s Secret pieces.

Can anyone help with dating this nightie?
    It’s ‘Made in China’, which through me off- but it was such a unique and fun piece - had to pick it up.

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My guess would be 1980s.

3. Hi Emru and welcome to the forums. Although China was manufacturing garments for the tourist market for a long time, 'Made in China' as a mass-produced commercial enterprise started in the early '90s so your item is unlikely to predate this time. I can't read the RN clearly but you can search that and it might give you some information too.

MagsRags likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I just watched part one of the documentary about Victoria's Secret - there they said that their owner was a pioneer in having cheap clothing produced in China, and they claim that they started that before official relations between the US and China had been taken up (which, if I got that right, was 1979) - though then they mentioned Hong Kong first. But from the context I assumed they started in the late 70s or early 80s with having clothing produced in China.

5. yes: before the early ‘90s most Chinese-made clothing was made in British Hong Kong. The labels say this, not made in China.