1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victorian Clogs?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JudyBS, Jun 5, 2023.

1. JudyBS

JudyBS Registered Guest

I found these clogs/(mules) in a family trunk and unable to identify them through online resources. The contents of the trunk are mid Victorian - Edwardian (US) so I suspect that these clogs are also. I learned that clog dancing was popular at the time and wonder if they were designed for that (but shouldn't they at least have a back-strap?) or were they designed to keep the owner free of mud from the streets? I would be very grateful for any identification.

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Clogs were worn in North America, primarily for farm work because they are waterproof, so they are great for mucking out barns and wearing in muddy areas, but as you say, because they are mules, they are less useful for active work wear. Clogs were never a part of folkwear in North American like they were in Europe, so I suspect these women's clogs are 1890s and originate from Europe where they were commonly worn for everyday wear. Because they are so plain, its hard to figure out where they are from. In Italy they are called zoccola and are were commonly worn, but these could also be French, German or any number of other countries. Do you know where your family comes from? I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the 'old country'

3. JudyBS

JudyBS Registered Guest

My family came from Great Britain to upstate NY then western PA where they were established early 1800s. Though the majority or the family were city dwellers, store owners and bankers, my great aunt's family had a nearby dairy farm. Several of the items in the trunk came from her. From what I remember of her, very proper, she would not have been mucking out the barns but she was definitely a hands-on, nature loving woman. The 1890s fits. Thank you, this scenario never even crossed my mind.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Mules wouldn't be appropriate for mucking out barns, but if you have ever been where a hundred cows just walked - you can be guaranteed the path will be mucky... so the mules would have worked just walking around the property... If you look in some department store catalogues amongst the workwear you will sometimes find unillustrated listings for wooden-soled clogs for the farm. They get displaced by rubber soled wellingtons but are still available until about 1900ish.

5. JudyBS

JudyBS Registered Guest

Great advice. thank you very much.

6. GeorgeMartin

GeorgeMartin Registered Guest

You are correct that mules wouldn't be the ideal footwear for mucking out barns due to their open-back design.

7. JudyBS

JudyBS Registered Guest

Thank you. But perhaps an outdoor shoe to keep you up and out of the mud.